Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Blue Screen... Possible BIOS/Hardware Issue... Please Help

• Please log in to reply

d4dooley

d4dooley

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,

Recently had a Malware attack and you guys fixed it great. However, now I have another issue. A couple of weeks after getting my box back up and running, I loaded up Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008. The game wouldn't quite run correctly and during my previous issue with the virus, I figured out that I was not actually using a ATI Raedon video card I installed a couple of years ago (I realized this b/c I could not ever get a Safe Mode screen, the computer was not sending a signal to my monitor until Windows started running in normal mode. I had to pull the monitor cable out of the computer, and put it into the jack on the video card slot to get the back Windows/Dell startup screen that you need to hit F8 on in order to access the Safe Mode options.)

So b/c the game wouldn't run quite right, I tried to configure my system to utilize the ATI video card in hopes that it would fix the issue with the game. This did not have any ill effects on the computer really, but the game still wouldn't run. I was also getting a message that the game CD couldn't be read (or that I should insert the game CD) when the CD was in the drive. So I read some trouble shooting tips on the EA Games website, and installed a Safe Disk update (something like that), I also tried running a hotfix, but it couldn't be installed b/c Windows said that I already had the hotfix update. EA Games got back to me after running a game scanner that produced a log file, and they said that I need to uninstall my Sonic CD-ROM burning software. Then the blue screen of death began.

I have started my system up in Safe Mode many times and tried multiple System Restores and finally have gotten Windows to start normally (with the monitor plugged into the regular computer jack, not the upgraded video card jack). However, when I install Windows updates w/ Service Pack 3, the blue screen begins again. I have not written down exactly what it says, but I remember it references bad memory and has the "NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO" message, and is also has some technical info about an RT2500.exe file.

I hope that all makes sence? My computer is running now, but I would like to keep being able to install updates, and utilize my better video card (the ATI). Plus my computer is running slow again, and I would like to get it cleaned up a running as quick as it was after I got rid of my Malware issue. I believe it is a BIOS issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

Many Thanks,

Dooley

Advertisements