Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Find Operating System, Help!

• Please log in to reply

bjchin

bjchin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had my computer, a Lenova T41 for about 4 years. I'm running Windows XP. Noticing that lately if my computer gets hot, it shuts down. Last week, while I was working, I got the blue screen, then I had to restart. While restarting, kept saying..."initializing...."......then "can't find operating sytem."

i noticed if i waited a little while, then turned on again, it would work, only to do the same thing after a few minutes. well i left on vacation, for the weekend, came back, and now i'm able to start up again, but afraid it's going to happen again.

please help! is my hard drive going bad?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Since it's happening after you use it for awhile, check to see if its cooling mechanism is clear of dust. Some notebooks will actually refuse to start if the fan can't spin when they're started. You also may want to run hard drive tests after booting off the XP CD, (if you have one).

Normally a hard drive problem will have other symptoms, (clicking noises is the major bad indication). Have you run an error check on the drive or defragmented it recently?

Hope this helps..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I lean more towards a temperature and overheating problem.

There are links to some programs in my signature that will help identify temperatures and drive diagnostics.
Everest will give you temperature. Look under computer and then sensor.
Mother board monitor is another 1.
Also, most newer bios's will have a spot to verify temperatures.

You also may want to run hard drive tests after booting off the XP CD, (if you have one).

The XP cd does not have hard drive tests.

If you want to test the drive (I do not suspect this is the problem), you can get the manufacturers diagnostics.
In Everest, expand storage and look at physical to find out what the manufacturer of the drive is.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
bjchin,

One other quick thought, you have backed up all your data? 4 years worth could be a great loss if it stops working again. And if you get the blue screen again, write down the Stop error. It will help diagnose it..

123Runner,
I dunno, I find that the XP repair console's chkdsk does give you indications of the drive health, (if you know where to find its results in the event log...). Right now I have a case where the Western digital drive tests are fine, yet XP's chkdsk, doesn't finish??? So I guess I have to tell my client to switch to Linux?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Forgot about the chkdsk. I was thinking more intense and related to overall diagnostics. Yet nothing is a given 100%.