Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I goofed

• Please log in to reply

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I was trying to do a repair of my original win xp and ended up somehow with two copies of win xp on my hard drive. When I start the computer, I'm prompted to select one. I have my original with all my programs etc, and the (new) xp version which is a "bare" version with none of my added programs.
Is there a way to erase the "bare" version I inadvertantly installed? It's taking up 4g on my hd and is useless, besides having to select the other one each time the computer starts.
Any help would be deeply appreciated by this old guy who don't know what he''s doing, but does it anyway!
I'm new to the site and the posts are super. <_<
Tom

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Hi Tom, welcome to Geeks to Go! :D

Of course, it's not as simple as just deleting the second copy of Windows from your hard drive <_<

Try this link: http://www.cyberwalk...-copies-xp.html

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks very much for the link and information. I'll do it in the morning and post a "What Happened" note... You all saved me!!!
Tom

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just finished deleting the copy of xp I accidently installed, and the instructions were quite clear and easy to follow. Worked 100% and again, many thanks for helping me fix it.
Tom

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
You're welcome <_<