Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SpeedFan 4.37

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I'm just wondering if anybody has heard of SpeedFan 4.37, or any program like it that allows a computer user to monitor various hardware aspects of his computer such as temperature, fan speed, etc. I'm curious to know if members of GTG would view an application like SpeedFan 4.37 as a legitimate and helpful tool, or just a gimmick. The website link is here:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

A summary description of SpeedFan 4.37 is here:

"SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan can find almost any hardware monitor chip connected to the 2-wire SMBus (System Management Bus (trademark belonging to SMIF, Inc.), a subset of the I2C protocol) and works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Windows Vista. It works with Windows 64 bit too."

If there's another program out there that provides similar diagnostic information that you all are aware of and trust, I'd sure like to know about it.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by konakula29er, 27 January 2009 - 07:34 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Good little program. I like it. Useful for gaining an idea about the temperatures in a computer, though always take the results with a pinch of salt.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Good little program. I like it. Useful for gaining an idea about the temperatures in a computer, though always take the results with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for your feedback. I installed Speed Fan and everything looked good except my GPU temperature. It was 56C and there was a little flame symbol next to it. I have not idea what typical or accepted temperature ranges are for a GPU. Can you advise?

Thanks!

Edited by konakula29er, 27 January 2009 - 05:04 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
By default Speedfan flags everything up as being over 50 degrees with a little flame. This may not be anything to worry about.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

By default Speedfan flags everything up as being over 50 degrees with a little flame. This may not be anything to worry about.

Sweet! Thanks for the help!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Never mind... I thouht you meant this was the CPU temp! Getting too old, can't read!

Edited by makai, 27 January 2009 - 11:12 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Never mind... I thouht you meant this was the CPU temp! Getting too old, can't read!

:) Would it help if I posted my threads at this size from now on?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Warning temperatures level can be changed, when you click on "Configure" button on the main screen.
On my desktop, I keep them at default 50C, on my laptop, I changed them to 70C.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Funny guy! :)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

I couldn't pass it up Makai. All that teasing about the "puny" hard drive, LOL. I finally got my chance to one-up you. But you know I do it with total admiration. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't know a chipset from a CPU, a northbridge from a southbridge (I might have thought there was a west bridge and an east bridge too), or how to set my drives to primary and slave. You rock brudda!
:)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I couldn't pass it up Makai. All that teasing about the "puny" hard drive, LOL. I finally got my chance to one-up you. But you know I do it with total admiration. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't know a chipset from a CPU, a northbridge from a southbridge (I might have thought there was a west bridge and an east bridge too), or how to set my drives to primary and slave. You rock brudda!
:)

Ok... you're forgiven! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
As a cross referance on all the temperatures, I will look at them with Mother board monitor and everest also.
This gives me a good idea of what is actually true values.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

As a cross referance on all the temperatures, I will look at them with Mother board monitor and everest also.
This gives me a good idea of what is actually true values.

Sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I figured instead of starting a new topic on SpeedFan, I could just revive this one... I hope I "figured" correcly. :)

I was hoping that maybe somebody could help me to set this up for my PC. I've researched it pretty well and now I have it pounded in my head over and over again...that you could royally screw up your PC... So, I'm kinda afraid to do this on my own. Is their somebody that is familiar with SpeedFan that could help me set this up for my PC?

I have a DELL Dimension E520, Windows Vista Home Premium. I really would like to set up the SpeedFan properly so any help would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanking You in Advance. :)