Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music files on one drive, but opened from start menu, , how ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all, , have done this before i am sure but just cannot remember how.

I have a new vista desktop replacement laptop (fujitsu seimens xi 3650 ) and the 2 x 500gb drives are set up with an os partition on the c drive.
C drive is 80gb with os on it, then D drive is 320 ish and E drive is 465gb.

As i am loading up my lappy with my data such as movie, music and photo files they are all wanting to install on the small C drive partition. I can easily copy my 75gb music files onto the larger D or E drive, but i dont want a shortcut on the desktop, , i want to be able to click on start, then click on the music tab to access the files , , i hope someone can understand what i mean !

I want to access my music files (75gb ) from the music tab on the start menu, , but install them on a different drive, , and as the start menu and corresponding tabs are on the C drive, i cant see how it can be done ? ?

Any ideas, , i am sure i have done this before on one of my previous vista machines, but i cannot for the life of me remember how i did it

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello rxkevco...

Click on the Start orb, then right click on "Music" and choose "Properties". In the Properties window, click on the "Location" tab and tell Wiindows where you want to store the files.

wannabe1

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
AH, , ,Thats right, i remember now, ,thankyou for the memory jog !

Many thanks, , ,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :)

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Now i remember another problem i had last time that i managed to sort out as well , , but again, cant think how i did it ?

I have transfered my music, photos and video folders onto one of the bigger drives and as you suggested i just changed the location to open them from the start menu , , BUT , , There is no video category on the start menu ! ! !

How do you add another category , documents, music, pictures, games, "VIDEOS " , , , I think last time round i changed the name of the games folder to videos and just did it that way, , but i cant remember, , however, on this occassion, i want to keep the games folder and there isnt anything else i can rename to " videos ".

Would greatly appreciate your advice once again , ,

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Anyone ? !

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Please, , anyone ? ?

How do i add another category to the start menu ? ?