Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM.INI file error

• Please log in to reply

spleenerhosen

spleenerhosen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: When I turn on my tower, I get the following message on a black screen:

"Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstall or Setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.

C:\PROGRA"1\CA\ETRUST"1\ETRUST"\VETMON9X.VXD

Press any key to continue"

I can press the enter key twice and my desktop finally appears. Then I can only get online but can't get into Outlook Express. Not sure it's all related, though. The only only thing I've done recently is to uninstall an HP printer driver, nothing else. This is a head scratcher and any help to get rid of this is appreciated.

Spleenerhosen

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

VETMON9x.VXD is part of InoculateIT. Did you happen to once be using that program and then uninstall it??

Murray

spleenerhosen

spleenerhosen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Never had that program installed. I did uninstall an HP printer driver several days before this error message reared its ugly head!

There is also a link that shows up when I second click and it reads:
WIMMUN32.VXD

What's up with that? Thanks Murray!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Man.. how many anti-virus programs have you been nplaying with?? First EZTrusy Innoculate and now Iris AntiVirus..

Did you uninstall them properly??

Murray

spleenerhosen

spleenerhosen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: I never installed them in the first place! I only found 2 empty folders for etrust and I'm checking for the other two. I have ordered XP home edition OS from a reputable seller on ebay and I will follow all instructions to the t for loading. Windows 98 was too slow anyway. I tried registry mechanic on my laptop but can't download to a CD to use on my desktop. Anyway, the new OS "should" take care of most my problems. Any suggestions for loading a new OS? Thanks, spleenerhosen

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
go to control panel add remove programs
do you have a program ETRUST? if yes remove this program.
What part of the world are you in I only ask because this is a computer associasties program and they call them different things in different parts of the world

George Hayes

George Hayes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My problem is similar to this one, except it was a mouse file that I deleted in order to install a new keyboard (wireless) and a wireless mouse. I get the "cannot find device file" message each time I turn on the computer. I am unable to find any part of my computer that doesn't work because of this, but it is aggravating to have it show up every time. Do you know how I can get rid of this message? George

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in the future, please start your own thread.

Start > run
sysedit
<enter>

look through system.ini for the file named in the error message, place a ; (semicolon) infront of the line, safe the file, and reboot.