Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC2100 DDR & PC3200 DDR

• Please log in to reply

MIBADOG

MIBADOG

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I think I know the answer to this question, but I want to make sure. Can I combine a PC2100 DDR memory card & a PC3200 DDR memory card on the same mother board?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can. The faster stuff will slow down to match the slower stuff.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello MIBADOG

i would not mix them... neil stated, the faster module will be reduced to the slower speed , therefore defeating the purpose of the faster module BUT from what i am reading it can also cause problems when playing games etc... Info @ http://www.techspot....er-mix-RAM.html for more info

however , it can be done in some cases ( mix's and mobo's )

anthony19

PS: if it is duel channel supported ( the mobo ) , it will not be active if not the same sized modules are installed/fitted ( and same brand/manufactuer modules would be recommended to be used )

Edited by Anthony19, 28 January 2009 - 01:14 AM.