Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big problem with Windows!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have an e machines e tower model 633ids. It came with Windows ME (it's 7 years old but works fine). A few years after I bought my pc I upgraded it to XP home version. I used a windows XP disc for the upgrade. Recently my PC has been so slow I decided to do a full system recovery using the two discs that came with my pc. I re-installed Windows XP, and everything has been fine, my pc has been running like new. Beginning a week ago, I started my pc in the morning as usual and I received a Windows "pop up" message pop up saying I have to enter a new validation key in order to continue using windows. Each day afterwards, I get the same message only it is counting down to day one. I tried typing in the validation key (numbers and letters) that came with the XP disc, but the windows message comes up saying it is not a valid key, and I must call a windows toll free number and get a new key. I'm afraid to call the number for fear this is a hoax ,or some kind of identity theft scheme. Can anyone PLEASE help me out on this? If it is legit, I have until tomorrow (Jan. 28th) and according to that message I won't be able to log onto windows after that. I can't understand why I would have to get another validation key since this is My Windows XP Disc. I need some help and some advice on what I should do and if that message is correct than I need help fast, or I'll lose windows in about 7 hours from now. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It is legit. Things happen.
Call the number and explain to them what has happened. They will be more than happy to help.