Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with internet

• Please log in to reply

exgardon

exgardon

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks to Bruno I got my comp back. I have a linksys WRT54SG or w.e router its connected to the modem. My dad and sis are connected to it how would I?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey exgardon,

Did you mean Linksys WRT54GS? Are you attempting to connect via wireless or Ethernet? If wireless, do you know what type of encryption/security is being used on your router (i.e. WEP, WPA, none)? Creating a wireless connection is pretty straight-forward, so just answer the above questions and we should be able to get you going.

- Dan

exgardon

exgardon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Im using wpa encryption. and ye i meant that model. Im using internet

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Im using internet

:) To connect via wireless, please follow the steps located here. If you actually use Ethernet, then it should be pretty much plug n' play on Vista.

You will need to get the WPA passphrase from your dad in order to be able to connect. That site has pretty straight-forward steps, however if you run into any issues, please post back and I can walk you through it.

- Dan

exgardon

exgardon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
alright the site i whent to asked me if thier was any connections. It said thier was no connections. Than I tryed to go where you set it up manually that wasnt even thier. I know all the information but how would I make it so I can set it up manually.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type network and select Network and Sharing Center
  • On the left hand side of the screen, select Set up a connection or network
  • From the list of options, select Manually connect to a wireless network
These steps should allow you to manually setup a wireless connection. If that option is not available, please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and then press the ENTER key.
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, you should see your wireless adapter; do you? Does it have a red 'x' or a yellow '!' beside? Does it state it is running properly in it's settings?
- Dan