Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Computer for Gaming (Help)

• Please log in to reply

cpollack09

cpollack09

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello,

Im upgrading my computer for gaming. I used to be able to game on the my computer but my hardware is getting to outdated. I upgraded my power supply and ram a little while ago. But now im looking to upgrade my motherboard, processor and graphics card.
My cpu or processor right now is Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz codename; prescott.

Would i need to update that?
Also What do u guys recommend i should get?

My price range for all items together is under $1,000

Also my computer is making a ticking noise, it only happens when i am doing stuff on my computer. Anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome :)

For the $1000 mark you could build yourself a complete new computer.

The ticking noise is possible the hard drive, known as the "tick of death". Make sure all important data is backed up immediately! The drive may fail on you very soon.

Troy

EDIT: It might not be worth upgrading your system at all - please list all components you currently have.

Edited by Troy, 27 January 2009 - 06:19 PM.

cpollack09

cpollack09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi, thanks for the welcome

Components:
Graphics Card: Radeon x1600 series AGP
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000P-G AGP
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz
Memory: DDR 2048 Mbytes 201.0 MHZ
Power Supply: ill update it once i restart my computer

I have a sound card

Edited by cpollack09, 27 January 2009 - 06:50 PM.

Major Chaos

Major Chaos

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Build the PC backward from what you need/want to do then you can get exactly what you need. Your PC is just getting to the point where some games will not work on it and your HD sounds like it will die any moment. Understand the specs required for the highest end game you need focusing on the video card, RAM and operating system. Once you know what you need you can determine what you can afford and build it from there. You may be able to get a PC at a good price with Vista and good RAM etc, but buy a separate video card. Sometimes it can work better than building from scratch (unless you have a lot more cash to put down on a high-end gaming machine.

Good luck,
Major :)

cpollack09

cpollack09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Build the PC backward from what you need/want to do then you can get exactly what you need. Your PC is just getting to the point where some games will not work on it and your HD sounds like it will die any moment. Understand the specs required for the highest end game you need focusing on the video card, RAM and operating system. Once you know what you need you can determine what you can afford and build it from there. You may be able to get a PC at a good price with Vista and good RAM etc, but buy a separate video card. Sometimes it can work better than building from scratch (unless you have a lot more cash to put down on a high-end gaming machine.

Good luck,
Major :)

Thanks i think i got what im looking for.

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX920XCGIBOX
MotherBoard: ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You won't be able to use that DDR RAM with the ASUS motherboard...

You'll need to get DDR2 RAM - 800MHz is plenty fast enough.

Troy

cpollack09

cpollack09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok how about this,

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Graphics Card: EVGA 017-P3-1293-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Ram: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX
MotherBoard: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you provide links to those parts for me?

Cheers

cpollack09

cpollack09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've changed my mind like a thousand times already, trying to decide on the perfect upgrade. But here is what i got now:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail

ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

2 EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive