Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File folder in Vista disappeared cannot be found, not deleted

• Please log in to reply

arball

arball

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Around the 1st of this year, I had a folder located at "C:/Amrit/arball Productions" that had a few sub folders that didn't contain more than about 100 files totaling no more than 100MB. It suddenly disappeared. The contents were primarily word files, pictures, some psd (Photoshop) files and HTML files. What was weird is that the remaining folders and files inside "C:/Amrit" were untouched, unscathed and perfectly fine. The folder that disappeared was not in my Recycle bin, nor was it searchable anywhere else on the computer.

I tried to use a recover program (freeware I had googled but can no longer remember which it was) which found some of the files after a deep scan, but when trying to recover them, they were corrupt. I gave up, said my folder was lost, took my computer as fine in every other way, and moved on.

Last night, I noticed when going to another folder I created, "C:/Amrit/arball Prod" that it had once again disappeared. It was named something different than the first time, but again, noticed no other problems. This folder had only 2 sub folders, and a max of 10 files of same file type. This time, I really need those files.

Using vista, I tried to locate some of the filenames since I know their names. They were found as pictured in missingfile1.jpg . However, as you can see to the right of it, the folder contains no such path. The first subfolder in the folder "C:/Amrit" is "disney". "arball Prod" was atop that list, as was "arball Productions" a few weeks earlier. Now, they are gone. Clicking 'equestrianbuzz.eps' in the search panel brings up missingfile3.jpg. Even for the folder itself, I can search it, Windows recognize it, but then tell me that it is a missing shortcut because clearly the folder no longer exists. missingfile2.jpg

I am baffled as to what it could be that mysteriously ate my folder. The folder permissions in Vista say Show Hidden files and folders, so I know that is it. I do not beleive it to be a virus since McAfee has not found anythign after running a deep scan, along with Spybot S&D and AdAware that I run weekly. I want to know what I can do to get my file folder back, where it is since I know I didn't delete it, and how to prevent the top folder in the "C:/Amrit" from disappearing in the near future.

I am happy to provide more information if needed. Thanks for the help in advance.

What I'm running:
Dell Inspiron 1525 (laptop purchased April 2008)
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
3GB RAM
320GB HD
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.40GHz

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Try this person's 'trick'
http://www.myokyawht...-in-vista.html/

arball

arball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help, but unfortunately it is not the file names that are missing, it is the actual folder. I tried that and it didn't help in bringing back the folder. Thanks though.