Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless connection errors

• Please log in to reply

cartzz

cartzz

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I just moved house and my internet set up had to change a bit, from a cable connection to a DSL connection. At my old house I had no connection problems. My modem was not in a great location, so I used a Netgear WGR614 wireless router to send the connection to both my imag G4 desktop and my macbook.

In my new house, there is something going wrong with my wireless settings. I can connect to most pages but when I try to connect to some American sites (I live in Australia) eg facebook and hotmail, the connection will be very slow and sometimes will not connect at all.

Is there a wireless setting I can change to improve this?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey cartzz,

Are you sure it is your wireless that is causing the issue? Have you tried plugging your computer directly into the modem via an Ethernet cable and seeing if the issue persists?

Does the slow connection to certain sites always occur, or only at certain times? Is it random, or does it seem to happen at set intervals/hours.

The next time you attempt to connect to hotmail and it loads slowly (or not at all), please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type tracert hotmail.com > C:\trace.txt
  • This command will take a few minutes to complete -- wait for your command prompt to return. Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file trace.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Also, try a simple ping to hotmail.com:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ping hotmail.com > C:\ping.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ping.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
It would also help if you ran a tracert to hotmail.com when you're not experiencing any connection issues.

*NOTE: It does not necessarily have to be hotmail; simply replace hotmail.com with whatever site you're having the slow connection issue with.

- Dan