Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not working...

• Please log in to reply

jettrink918

jettrink918

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
A few weeks ago my cd/dvd drive went out so I ordered a new one exactly like the one that was installed. It arrived today and I took the old one out and popped the new one in and I thought I was good to go. The drive now opens and I can insert a cd and once closed I can hear it spinning and trying to run but nothing ever happens. I went to "My Computer" and the cd/dvd drive icon is no longer there. I went to device manager and no folder indicating its existence can be found. I right clicked on my name and opted to scan for new hardware but nothing is found. I went to Dell Support and tried to download the only update/driver they have listed but it keeps saying I dont have administrator access but I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR as I'm the only one using my laptop. I'm running Windows XP SP 3 and I have a Dell Dimension 1520 Laptop if that helps. Does anyone know what may be wrong or what I can do to fix this issue?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try one of these:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
2. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I tried the first step you listed and had no problems but it didnt fix the issue.

I tried the second step and ran into an issue after I unzipped the files. They show up but when I try to run them I get an error message saying: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel. So I'm not sure what to do from here...

When I tried the third step and I clicked on the section you said in Device Manager I have 4 things listed instead of two:
Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828
Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
so I'm not really sure where to go from here either. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

They show up but when I try to run them I get an error message

You didn't read my instructions carefully enough.
It says, after unzipping...

Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

As for the step 3, delete both Primary IDE Channels.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did unzip them first. That's what I was saying....after I unzipped the files and read your "Read Me First" file I right clicked on the cdgone file and clicked "Merge" and got that error message. I get the same message when I click the other file as well.

Concerning step 3, I deleted those two things and restarted my computer and when it booted back up I could see in the lower right corner a series of new hardware messages stating new hardware had been found and was installing and it showed disk drive found then I got another message saying I needed to restart windows in order for new software to take effect so I did and drive d is still missing.

When I do to device manager the 2 things that I previously deleted have reinstalled and underneath disk drives I only see Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 whereas previously before I had cd/dvd drive issues my Sony model would be listed underneath there.

My CD/DVD drive is a Sony CRX880A is that helps at all.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If running .reg file gives you this error:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

then you must have some file association problem.
Run REG File Association Fix from here: http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
Restart computer afterwards, and see, if you can run cdgone.reg now.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did that and I unzipped the file and I see the Registry file but I cant do anything with it because I get the same reject message as I did before with the other two. When I went back to the page where I downloaded it says to extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. I have basic computer knowledge but im not really sure what it means when it says extract to hard disk. How do I go about doing this? Thank you sooo much for being patient and helping me out alot. I'm literally pulling my hair out trying to get this resolved.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Right click on that .reg file, click "Open with"
Browse to C:\Windows, and click on "regedit.exe" file.
Put checkmark in "Always open...." box.
Click OK.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Grrrrrrrrrr!!!! When I click on the file and follow your directions I get an error message saying Windows cannot open file...browse internet to select program to open with etc.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you...
Right click, click Open with, then Choose default program, and Browse button?

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok ok...im sorry...i had a moment...lol...i did see the browse button and I went through those steps and did what you said then i went back to the 2 files from previous that I had trouble with and when i clicked on the cdgone registry file it had the option to open rather than merge. When I clicked yes it asked did I want the file to be placed in registry and I clicked yes then restarted. Was this the right thing to do?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, sir.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Nothing changed when I did that...I restarted and the drive still doesnt show up. When I tried to download the driver for my cd/dvd drive (Sony CRX880A) I get a reject message saying "You dont have administrator right to process. or No device is recognized!" but I am the only person on my laptop. I did the test listed in your file earlier to confirm I am logged in as administrator and everything was successful but now I'm getting this problem. I'm ready to throw this thing out the front door...is there any hope?? lol

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

When I tried to download the driver for my cd/dvd drive

Optical drives don't need any extra drivers.
Try to replace drive's data ribbon (cable).