Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

REF: Wireless card Killed the Video! ALL GOOD NOW!

• Please log in to reply

kbritt14

kbritt14

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried to install new Linksys wireless card in my home pc and now it won't boot. I'm getting 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.....video error!!

I ran the install cd first, like it said. Then it shuts down for you to install the card. I did that and when it rebooted it did not continue the set up. I tried to autorun the cd again but nothing. I even tried running he wireless software diagnostics but nothing. Finally I got fed up and tried to uninstall the software so that I could try again. It started the uninstall and then locked up. I shut the system down and took the wirelsss card out. When I went to reboot, I just got the beeps.......no post! I even tried putting the wireless card back in....nothing!!

I built the system just a couple of months ago, everything new. Asus motherboard and a EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX video card. Could this have killed my video card????

HELP!!!

Although it did some stuff that was odd, it ended up being just one stick of bad memory!!

Edited by kbritt14, 29 January 2009 - 11:51 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Could this have killed my video card????

Stranger things have happened!

Don't be offended, but I have to ask... did you remove the AC cord before working inside the computer while installing/removing the card?

What I would do is reseat the Vid card. Pull the bios battery for about 10 minutes. Replace the battery, and try to boot up again.

kbritt14

kbritt14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You mean you have to actually shut it off?!! Just kidding :)

Yes, I unplugged everything when I installed/unistalled the wireless card and vid car. I will try removing the bios battery along with a few other process of elimination tactics and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

You mean you have to actually shut it off?!! Just kidding

You'd be surprised just how many people don't know about ATX power supplies! :)

Good luck with your troubleshooting. I hope you get it going! :)

kbritt14

kbritt14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:) OK, NOW WHAT?!!! I unplugged everything, took the CMOS battery out and cleared all that. I reconnected all connections and made sure they were secure. I even left out the floppy and one of the CD ROMs. I took the memory out and reinstalled it. I connected to the onboard VGA and took out the 9800 GTX that I thought might be bad.........................I did everything!!!! Still the same problem, long beep and two shorts and no post!!!! Fried the Bios??? Fried the motherboard??

BTW, the mobo is an ASUS M3N78 PRO

Time to get a hold of ASUS I guess.