Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I upgrade SuperAntiSpyware?

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Per GeeksToGo recommendations, I have on my computer SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareGuard and Spyware Blaster. In reading what is offered in the upgraded SuperAntispyware it said- "Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software (spyware, adware, worms, dialers, hijackers, keyloggers) from installing or re-installing." I thought SuperAntispyware free version did block all that, not remove it after it was on the computer. Am I mistaken?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Free Superantispyware doesn't run in real time. You can use it only for manual scanning.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
That is scary, I thought I have been covered real time. I download their updates religiously, it seems this past month it has been every day. Their scans take so long for me(many hours) that I never seem to finish one. What is recommended to have as a real time prevention of spyware? Would their professionsal version be the way to go or is there a free version out there that would be sufficient? I do not download music.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster both provide real-time protection against malware installing on your machine. I assume you also have a good anti-virus in place - just having an anti-spyware program is not enough.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thanks for advice. I went ahead and upgraded to SuperAntiSpyware Professional Lifetime for myself and my husband, the price was fair, $39.95, and we have three computers covered for that price, maybe even a fourth if need be. My anti-virus is AVG Free version 8.0, I hope it is o.k.

Nancy

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
AVG Free is one that is still recommended, although 8.0 has had some issues with false positives. It will definitely help keep you protected, however. This link provides information about other anti-virus programs, too.