Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download Update No longer work

• Please log in to reply

James Fee

James Fee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Please Help Me!! I sent Microsoft $99.00 to solve this one problem. They solved it overnight but the next morning IT and five others were back.

I contacted Microsoft because my Live Updates stopped working. They had me re install Windows 2000
and my live updates SEEMED to work. Next morning my live update icon was at the bottom right of my screen and its been STUCK there at 0% ever since (Three weeks now) I also find that when I hit "return" in my comcast e-mail I get a blank screen. When I download an attachment and hit open, or open file nothing happens. I constantly get a popup from www.regrenew.com. And when I try to
run add/remove software THAT PROGRAM hangs up.

I've e-mailed Microsoft back 3 times and they will not answer....what the [bleep] do I do now????

James W. Fee, Jr.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Have you loaded any service packs for 2000? It should be at Service Pack4, (to see this go to the control panel and then the system icon. The window that opens will tell you what level your 2000 is "at". If you have not loaded service pack4, then your Windows is so far out of date that it can't catch up...

The Service Pack4 and a Service Pack4 "roll up" install files are available for download here The Software Patch. On the left hand side on the page are the Windows downloads. Find your Windows2000 and look for Service Pack4 and ServicePack 4 roll up. You have to install SP4 before doing the roll up. (They are at the bottom of the Windows updates screen in the "Other" category listing...)

Good luck...

Edited by Mark D, 29 January 2009 - 01:13 AM.

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Mark,

That solved SOME of my problems, I can now return e-mail. But I still have the "downloading updates" icon at the bottom right and its still stuck at 0%.

Jim Fee

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear your email is working ok again. To reset your automatic updates, try turning them off, restarting the system afterwards. Before you switch it back on, remove all temporary files and temporary internet files, (easiest way is to right click on drive C, then left click on properties. There is a "Disk clean up" on the window that pops up. Left clcik on that and you will see both those items and how much space will be recovered).

A word of caution, DO NOT leave a check in the compress files! Not a good idea...

Then try to start you automatic updates again...

Good luck..

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:) Sorry to be such a dumb [bleep] but I don't have a clue how to "turn off" the updates. I tried going into the control panel and opening the live update icon but it won't even open...???

Thanks for you help,
Jim Fee

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm getting smarter as I go along. I found my way to the "Services" panel. I found live updates and hit STOP: I get error 1053..service did not respond to request...that the limit of my knowledge...now what? :)

Jim Fee

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sorry, life sometimes stops me from getting back sooner and that I didn't specify where to exactly go..

Sounds like you ended up in the computer management areas under Admin tools. There should be an Automatic Update icon in your control panel. Click on it and you should see this window pop up
Win2000.JPG

Untick the top button and then click the OK. Restart, and remove the temp files as detailed above. I'm not sure if this will help but it's where I'd start, (next would be editing the registry)..

(edit) realized that you don't have the Windows Update icon. It only appears after you click on Windows Update which is under the left hand text away from the Icons. Your system will want to be online when you click on those words. Once that has happened the Windows Update Icon appears..
(Bizarre but true...)

Let me know if this doesn't help..

Edited by Mark D, 30 January 2009 - 01:19 PM.

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your continued support, bu there is a lot MORE wrong here. Clicking the update icon does nothing. I managed to find my way to the "Services" panel. turned off Updates. I then rebooted, deleted the files, rebooted again and was finally allowed into Microsoft's update Web sight, It told me to turn several things BACK ON. When I did the microsoft websight froze up and I now am back as before with the update icon in the lower right stuck at 0%.

Again, thanks for your patients, I'm not REAL computer literate I use them for work but don't really know their bowels all that well!!!

Jim Fee

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
OK, let's back up a little..

The MS website may have queried your system has to whether your auto updates was on, but you don't need to visit it. If you leave your system online, the Windows updates will come in automatically, (no input needed from you). Lots of people will actually turn off auto updates, (because they know all their programs will continue working :) every day)

When you said MS had you re-load Win2000, did they have you re-format the drive or run a repair operation?

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Mark,

No reformatting, no repair, all they had me do was re-install Windows. Then they showed me that the update was running and washed their hands of it. The next morning when I logged on I had exactly the same problem back with the added five I mentioned below ( or above).

I don't even know HOW to reformat the disk...I do know how to "crunch", would that help?

Jim Fee

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I constantly get a popup from www.regrenew.com.

When you mentioned your other problems I re-read your 1st post. I then searched for www.regrenew.com and it is apparently some form of Malware... :)

Do you have any anti virus program installed? If so, is it current with its latest updates? Forget windows for now. We're talking about something like Norton, AVG, Avast or something like that...

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Mark,

I have BOTH Norton and SpywareDetector. Both are up to date as of 1/17/09. I've run both and neither found the www.regrenew.com malware. But since I've been talking to you I also found it on the web and found how to turn it off by going into services and finding "Messenger Service" and disableing it that way. Funny you mention Norton...Norton's automatic updates no longer work. I had to go to their website and down load by hand!!

Do you think the Malware is the problem?

Jim Fee

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sorry its taken me awhile to get back to you on this..

Some Malware will try to prevent or even disable AV products, (and since Windows updates do have Malware removal tools, that to). You may have to re-install windows2000 again, and apply the two service packs that you already have, (I would un-install Norton 1st and stay off the internet until its re-installed and updated with your manual download). I would then do a full system scan and if that finds nothing, then connect to the internet.

I would not have the spyware package active with Norton at the same time, (might cause problems, especially if your Norton has a built in Spyware component)

Don't be surprised if GtoG jumps in and asks you to go to the malware forum. That's where the Malware experts reside...

James Fee

James Fee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Mark,

Well that knocked me offline for over a week...but I'm right back where I started...albiet WORSE!!

Here what I did.

1) I disconnected from my internet.
2) I removed Norton Antivirous
3) Tryed to remove Spyware Decetor
3a) It hung up and gave me a message about my Printer software.
3b) Removed Printer Software
4) Removed Spyware Dector
5) Ran Windows CD
It gave me the option of installing new or repair.
I picked repair
6) It finished fine
7) Reinstalled Norton and ran it
It found nothing
8) reinstalled Spyware detective
It now thinks I have two of them
there are two icons at the lower right on the tool bar
on runs the software the other does nothing
9) Ran Spyware Dector
It found a slew of stuff
10) Quarentined it all
11) Tried to reconnect to my internet and it asked for a USB drive
Had to wait for Comcast to send me that (a week)
12) Started to update windows
13) Had to remove the 4 pack from the list and download the others
14) Went back to windows update page
It now said to download the 4 pack
15) At the end of that, I rebooted
16) I then tried to go back to the update page and get the rest of the updates
17) I get the following Error (See Attachment)
18) Spyware Dector will not run and returns the same error
19) I have the microsoft Update icon at the lower right stuck at 0% again

NOW WHAT???
Jim Fee

Attached Files

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Why are you putting in Spyware Detector? What version of Norton are you running? Again, it is not a good idea to have two AV products active at the same time, (I've had cases where AVG and Windows Defender caused freezes in systems). The Spy Detector website mentions that it also has some AV built into it. Norton is the better known name and if it didn't find anything, I'd trust it over the spyware detector.

See if you can uninstall the Spyware Detector and then try your updates again, (from what you said it may not left you uninstall it easily since it did not come out cleanly the 1st time....)