Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTTP Error 400 bad request

• Please log in to reply

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have purchased a Compaq EVO N610c laptop running Windows XP home edition, after setting up a network adaptor i clicked on IE and typed in www.google.com I get the following error message:

The Webpage cannot be found

HTTP 400 Bad Request

I have scanned for viruses using Avast free, Used Spybot Search and destroy for any Malware, Run Abexo Free registry cleaner.
Made sure "proxy server" in lan settings is un-checked,
Reset IE settings in the "advanced" tab in internet options.
Installed all necessary windows updates services packs etc.

After searching on another computer for possible fixes i have finally gave up, all i could fing were links to offer a FREE scan but then get sent to a page to pay.

I have also read that it cannot be fixed be myself and have a voice at the back of my head saying re-install windows OS, but before i do that i'm reaching out to all ye who have some knowledge to pass on?

I look forward to hearing your comments on this issue and really hope someone on this site can help me, Thank you

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Is that the only webpage you can't see?

You should never run registry cleaners as you may have done even more damage to your system. Reg cleaners are scams.

The problem is your Web server thinks that the data stream sent by the client (your Web browser) was 'malformed' i.e. did not respect the HTTP protocol completely. So your Web server was unable to understand the request and process it.
It almost always means bad programming of the client system and/or your Web server.
400 errors in the HTTP cycle
Any client (e.g. your Web browser) goes through the following cycle:
Obtain an IP address from the IP name of your site (your site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
Receive an HTTP data stream back from your Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.
This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code it recognises as '400'.

Resolving 400 errors - general
There is a low-level program bug in the client or the Web server or both. If you do not have access to the source code for these systems, the only thing you can do is refer the problem to technical support people at the companies that developed the systems.

What you can try is to run your web browser (IE7?) without add-ons, this is an option available in Start> Accessories> System Tools> Run IE without Add-Ons. Now try to connect to Google, if it connects it is one of the ADD-Ons that is incorrect, you can try and open IE7, go to tools, then manage add-ons and disable them all, enable one at a time and go to Google, come back out, enable another one until you find the one that is giving the problem. Once you find it either disable it or if it is in the Add & Remove Programs then remove it.

Edited by karbo, 28 January 2009 - 05:52 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start search" in Vista).
Type in:
cmd
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

At Command Prompt, type in:
ping www.google.com > ping.txt
Hit Enter.

In Window Explorer navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_name (C:\Users\your_name in Vista)
Double click on ping.txt to open it in Notepad.
Copy all text, and post it in your next reply.

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
[size="6"]First of of all thanks for your replies, I have started IE through Accessories (without addons) but google didn't load, so i think we can now say it's probably not one of the addons.
I then performed the ping by typing in CMD, this is what it gave back:

Pinging www.google.com [125.67.67.197] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 125.67.67.197: bytes=32 time=339ms TTL=114

Reply from 125.67.67.197: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=114

Reply from 125.67.67.197: bytes=32 time=334ms TTL=114

Reply from 125.67.67.197: bytes=32 time=330ms TTL=114

Ping statistics for 125.67.67.197:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 330ms, Maximum = 339ms, Average = 333ms

This means nothing to me but hope you can depict it for me? Thanks in advance for any help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
The above means, your connection is fine, but for some reason, IE doesn't work.
See, if same thing happens with Firefox.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Did you try my suggestion?

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Interesting.... I have downloaded mozilla firefox's latest version, installed it and Firefox also gives the message:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

I have ran Avast again and it found 34 entries it's unable to scan because they are password protected, maybe it has something to do with this particular issue?

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Karbo,

Yes i have tried your suggestion first by opening IE7 without Addons, i have also found that information you have posted on the microsoft website explaining that my web browser and the client's syntax confilct, i'm still getting the message of bad request, any more suggestions on a postcard? Thanks in advance

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Just to add, in IE7 google fails to work, in firefox i just tested it out and google, ebay, and amazon get the same Bad Request error message, thanks

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Sorry it didn't work. I don't have any other suggestion at the moment but will look further into it.

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You might want to post your topic in the Malware section. You might have an issue for them.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One more thing to try.
See, if you can surf in Safe Mode with Networking.

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Still no luck after starting windows up in safe mode with networking, still have the bad request message, thanks for all your suggestions, i will post my issue in the malware section to see what they have to say about it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Post back, when you're done.

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey Guy's problem solved deep within the malware forum! Handhfn has guided me through to a fix, after installing OTMoveIt3 by Old Timer, it removed the necessary files and after a restart google loaded first time, just adding this to conclude the posts and to say thank you for all your help. :)