Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP psc 2500

• Please log in to reply

Nelnsuz

Nelnsuz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP psc 2500 photosmart printer. I had it hooked up to our network but recently we changed provider's. I am having trouble getting the printer connected to the new router. When I run the installer, everything goes fine until the installer goes to connect with the printer. I get a message that it was unable to connect to the printer. I have tried numerous things and followed the instructions to a tee. Any suggestions as to why the installer can't get the printer connected. Thanx.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Your new router may have a different TCP/IP address sequence then what is programmed in your HP PSC. Go to one of your systems and click on Start, then Run. Type CMD and press enter. A black dos window will open. In the box type ipconfig and press enter. Note the IP address of your system, (which has been assigned by your new router). You should also see a subnet mask and gateway addresses.

Then enter the HP menu system, (on the machine itself, there should be a menu button that you navigate by using arrow keys or its number pad), and get to where its TCP/IP address is. change the 1st 3 sets of numbers, (not the last one). You may also have to change the subnet mask. The HP may also have a gateway address entry as well. I'm not sure if the HP will reset its TCP/IP address after its initial install, but this should allow your install program to find it when it searches your network.

Good luck...

Edited by Mark D, 29 January 2009 - 12:36 AM.

Nelnsuz

Nelnsuz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Mark,

Howzit Brah. You from the islands? Spent time in kauai, westside. anyway... Thank you for your response. The IP, subnet mask and gateway all match up to the network configuration page from the printer. Wish it didn't but it does. The network finds the printer and the config. looks right but for some reason the printer won't take the new instructions. If you have any other idea's, I'm wide open.
Thank you.

Edited by Nelnsuz, 29 January 2009 - 02:41 PM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I spent a few weeks on Kauai years ago... I'm originally from US Northeast and found myself down in South Africa, (going on 12 years now). The pic I use is one that was taken a few months ago where we walk our dogs in a Nature Reserve near where we live...

Anyhoo, Have you tried to ping the HP's address? Click on Start. Run type CMD and press enter. In the black window that pops up type PING and the address of the HP. If the command gets a response from that address, then there should be no reason that it can't connect. If it doesn't, perhaps you new router has a limit on the address range of its TCP/IP addresses or perhaps the UTEP cable may need to be changed? It is odd if the only change has been the router and its addresses are the same sequences...

Hope this helps...