Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update from Windows Vista Prem.Home to Ultimate?

• Please log in to reply

donnelle

donnelle

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have XPS Dell desktop... I have Vista Prem.Home. I was told I could update to Ultimate. THEN I could upgrade to WINDOWS 7. Is that true? ALSO, what is news on WINDOWS 7? SHOULD I DO THIS OR NOT? ( I have Dell inspiron 6000 laptop Windows XP) I have router, + cable fast access.

Edited by donnelle, 28 January 2009 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello donnelle...

That is all true, but if I were you, I'd wait for Windows 7 and skip Vista Ultimate.

Windows 7 is still in the testing stage, but those of us who are using it are liking it. Vista has proven to be buggy on some machines, though I have never had a problem with it.

wannabe1

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You will not have to upgrade to Vista ultimate in order to upgrade to Windows 7. You can upgrade to windows 7 from Vista home premium.
Windows 7 is in Beta testing right now. (I am using a beta of Windows 7 now) It will not be out until the end of this year or begining of next year. As it is in Beta there are a lot of bugs to be worked out before it is marketed.
After the Beta test is over (Aug 2009 for me) I will be going back to Vista. I like Vista and see no reason to go to Windows 7 for at least a year.
The choice to upgrade is yours.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Talking about upgrades...
IMHO, nothing is better than clean install.

donnelle

donnelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank ALL three of YOU for your replies. I didn't understand why I read that VISTA Ultimate would upgrade better than "MY" VISTA HOME PREM. version.
THANKS so much.
WHAT IS the last reply IHMO? secret code?
DONNELLE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion