Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Idle Process?

• Please log in to reply

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
My comp has been running really slow. I have had the comp for a few years but it still should be fast enough for what I need.
pentium 4 3.00 ghz 512ram etc etc

Now when I check it shows system idle process at 99%CPU, is this normal?

I dont have more then one antivirus, and I clean the comp. reg. with adaware, combo fix, HJT etc (posting logs on this forum for help)

My internet also runs alot slower then the other comp. using my network, and sometimes it will disconnect me.

what should I do and where should I start.

As always, thanks for the help

Advertisements

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello LOCOprobe,

System idle process at 99% means essentially that your CPU is idle. So, at that point in time, your CPU is basically waiting for something to do, which is good in that when you want it to perform it has all it's resources available for the task you want it to do.

Now as for why you are having performance issues, you may have done something with combofix or HJT that has caused some problems. Combofix is not a tool to be used regularly. Also, if you fixed anything with HJT recently that is legitimate, you might want to "unfix" it through the "View the list of backups" button. If there are any other changes that you have made recently to your computer, that might be the cause. It's hard to say from here.

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well combo fix has only been used a few times, most the time its just adaware that I use.

I use HJT combo fix and a few other programs only through the help of people from this forum, so hopefully nothing has been deleted that I needed.

It didnt just start getting slow after changing something, it just seems to get a little slower and slower over time.

Thanks for explaining the system idle process for me though, I always thought something was running that didnt need to be haha.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello LOCOprobe

Yes what shinybeast was saying is correct , the system is in a idle state.. that is good :)

i Suggest doing the following

1.Run ATFCleaner , can be found @ http://www.geekstogo...ner-file21.html

and some basic maintence never goes a stray :)

1. error-checking the hard drive ( run disk-check )

2.Defragment the hard drive

hopeful that clears some useless/unneeded files out ( atf )

and make sure there are no errors on the hard drive ( Chk dsk )

and put all them little peices of fragments backtogether , close to the harddrive for quicker access to the file ( defrag )

if you have any questions or any queries on the progs/apps you are going to run dont hesitate to ask ( no question is considered stupid/dumb )

Good luck , hope all goes well

Anthony19

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks alot for your help. this is why I love this forum :)

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Well, the symptoms described look a lot like the ones I've experienced with my old computer. I was limited to 512 Mb of RAM for XP Pro. As you add more and more programs and run more and more processes in the background, it's normal that your computer will slow down gradually in time. IMO, the solution is adding more RAM, or deleting unnecessary entries in the Windows Startup list. Chances are you don't need a lot of your running processes. 512 Mb of RAM for XP is a minimum but really not optimal. I recommend 1 Gb.

Edited by karbo, 01 February 2009 - 04:58 PM.

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
This is what I was thinking. Ive stopped everything that I dont need on startup and always kept it that way, but I figured my ram was a little outdated and needed more.

I have been thinking about updating my comp, and I know I would need more ram, but what else would you guys think I would need? I play alot of comp games and using an NVidea Gforce 2, 3 ghz pentium 4 etc etc.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello LOCOprobe

I suggest that you consider all the programs you run at any one time ( including the OS ) , calculate the MB of RAM needed to run these programs and add them all up , and that will give you a good estimation of how much RAM you are looking to buy ... i say more the merry ( i have 2x1GB and that does me , but i dont do gaming like alot of you all do :) )

Good luck with the Issue/Problem

Anthony19

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks alot for the help everyone

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
You are Welcome

Glad to be of assistance to you

Anthony19

PS: if you are interested about activating dual-channel ( if your BIOS supports that feature ) , you will need two equilavent ( Equal ) RAM Modules EG: Same MB and same Manufacture

BTW don't use both slots that are closest to each other ( you want the two separate memory controllers activated ) , depending on the mobo and the amount/type of slots you have will vary the configuration but there are different ways they can be configured to active dual channel

More Information about Ram modules can be found here http://computer.hows...rks.com/ram.htm

Thank you for your time

Edited by Anthony19, 04 February 2009 - 01:52 AM.

Advertisements

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks alot. I have 2 256mb sticks of ram and I have them installed as dual channel. My slots alternate black and white. and I have one 256 stick in a black and the other 256 in the other black. But is there something else I need to do to like activate dual channel or is that it?

BTW thanks for that link, it was good reading, and explained RAM to me in farther detail. They had a link in there for a guide but the site was down. I googled but ouldnt really find what I was looking for.

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Also I was wondering if I should upgrade my video card as well. I love to play comp. games and I cant seem to play newer games and I know that has alot to do with my ram but I was wondering if I need to upgrade the video card also.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello LOCOprobe

iam not 100% sure on the video card (maybe somone else can point you in the right direction), but if it is not causing any issue leave it :)

and as " karbo " stated

Quote: I recommend 1 Gb , i also would recommend 1GB ( bare minimum ) , i am running 2 GB

you only have 512MB.. but because like the hard drive data the manufacture uses a base-10 to calculate the amount of RAM and computers use the base-2 binary system ( like the hard drive , the amount is less than stated ) , this is not a manufactures fault nor is it a faulty memory module

More indept information can be found at http://en.wikipedia...._numeral_system

EG: i have 2GB RAM modules but my system tells me i have 1.99GB of RAM installed

Thank you for your time , i hope this can clear some other things up

anthony19

PS: to see if duel channel is active you can use Everest @ http://www.geekstogo...rest-file9.html

Load everest > select " motherboard " to expand the selection , select " chipset " and under " Memory controller " it should state under type that it is duel channel , and just below " active mode" should be enabled

Good luck! , keep us posted ( we like to know how it all goes )

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok I downloaded everest and checked it out.
under "type" it does say duel channel and then under "active mode" it also says duel channel then it has something that says "PAT" and under that it says disabled. is this how everything should be?

If so then I think I am set. I just need to pick up more ram and hopefully My comp. will run a little smoother. Also I checked around diff. websites for ram, and it shows a few diff. kinds. and after reading the link you posted for me I know what I need, but one thing it didnt explain that I need to know is it seems there are diff. pin sizes, like how many pins are on each card or whatever. How do I find out which one I need?

You really are a life saver, thanks for taking the time.

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
since ive got this thread going I might as well try and get answers for a few other things haha. If you are too busy, or anyone else, dont worry about taking your time to answer them.

1. I am having to use a wireless adapter because for some reason when I plug ethernet cable from a modem or router my comp. wont reconize it. I have tried many modems and routers so I know the problem is with my comp. Its an ethernet port thats built into the comp. its not a seperate card.

2. After looking through everest I came across this "Field Value
Problem At least 85 Hz vertical refresh rate is recommended for classic displays."
So I tried to go in a change that and it says my moniter does not support it and when I do try to change it, my screen goes black and says out of frequency. I thought my moniter was pretty good, I guess not haha.
The refresh rate is set at 75hz btw

3. another thing from everlast "Field Value
Suggestion Enable IP header compression to increase network speed."