Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Slowest comp in the World - Could it be BIOS?

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi,
I have been given a laptop that a friend tried to make quicker and upgraded anything he could (not knowing what he was doing) and has now asked for my help and this is beyond me at the moment....But looking forward....

This is so slow and I have installed a virus free Hard Disk that I use in other laptops of the same make and model that works 100%.

It is a Toshiba A60 with 1.1GB Ram. When it is powered up, it will freeze on the 'Toshiba' screen and needs starting again. That is untill done 6-7 times then it goes forward to the Windows screen. It will then take 10 mins to load Windows and get to desk top. To give you an idea, clicking on the time in the bottom right, will bring up the screen - in about 5 mins - and watching the clock, it will only update every 6 seconds or so.

I have tried various Ram modules and combinations (including just the onboard RAM) with no difference.
Used another pre-loaded Toshiba software HDD, no difference.
Changed the Celeron 2.8GHz processor to another 2.8GHz processor, no difference.
Cant see anything awry with the BIOS page - ACPI BIOS Ver = 1.90.

I would like to find out if its possible to create a bootable CD that can 'Flash' the BIOS and reprogramme it, and if this could make a difference.

Could this have anything to do with the onboard RAM? and is there anyway to reset this to normal?
OR, any other suggestions?

Getting desperate now - its so frustrating.

Regards,
TheWern

Advertisements

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You can find the latest bios here along with instructions on how to use it:

http://209.167.114.3...lite/sa60en.htm

The minimum requirements for Vista is 1gb of ram so you might be better off downgrading to XP if your computer is unable to be further upgraded.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi,

It has over 1GB Ram - 1.1 as stated. What I didn't mention is that it is Win XP Home.
I looked at the Toshiba link you put (thanks) it seems to suggest that ver 1.9 IS the latest BIOS version. I will try to reload but it really is so slow it times out of everything and I cant even get it to load software to connect it to the net.

Regards,

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, I was thinking I was in the Vista forum. Other then doing a fresh install, I don't know what else you could do. Are you sure your virus free? Is you system loaded down with alot of programs? Either way it shouldn't take 5 minutes to open your clock.

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
It doesn't want to stay connected to the net for long enough for it to download a bios update. Is their anyway to write the bios update to a bootable disc?

The disc used is a freshly recovered HDD with no programs other than anti-virus and Zone Alarm and MS Office.
This disc works 100% in another A60 I have.

Is it possible for a vius/malware to infest the BIOS or remain in onboard memory (ram) ?