Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking with xp's and vista

• Please log in to reply

kgusta1970

kgusta1970

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Hi there i am new, i just found this forum. Here goes, I hope someone can help me. I have a small home network using a Hughes modem and a WRT54GS v.5 router. I have never secured it before now. How ever because of network magic i see intruders on my network that is causing my internet to slow very much due to some deal hughes says if i use to much they will slow it down. Anyway i have never had wireless problems before. I have two xp's and a new vista. All wireless. With the network unsecured all internet works fine on all the computers. When i try to wep secure it through the utility page only the xp's work not the vista. I take off the security and bingo it works again. I wish i new why this is happening. I really would like to secure it due to the neighbors using my internet. The vista just won't let me on even when i try to repair. I have tried the wpa secured but one of my xp's won't let me put all 26 digits on it only 23, and when i set it up it says i have to use 26. Weird. I would be very thankful if someone could help. please

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey kgusta1970 and welcome to GeeksToGo :)

First of all, WEP security is pretty much useless now-a-days, so I'm going to suggest we put our efforts towards getting your WPA encryption working.

I have tried the wpa secured but one of my xp's won't let me put all 26 digits on it only 23, and when i set it up it says i have to use 26

When you say "it says i have to use 26", what exactly are you referring to by "it"? Because a WPA passphrase can be anywhere between 8 and 63 characters; I'm not sure where you're getting this error from? A passphrase of 20 characters would be more than adequate in this situation. Can you please go into a little more detail in regards to where you're receiving the above issue, and also the exact wording of the error?

Thanks,
- Dan

kgusta1970

kgusta1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was setting it up through Network magic and when i did so it said use 26 digits. Thats probably the problem huh. I also read that if my xp's don't have service pack 2 they will not take wpa? Is this correct? I do know how to get into the utility page so i should go in there and set up right?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Is there any reason why you do not want to install SP2? Windows XP SP1 can support WPA encryption (although not WPA2) by downloading a client patch -- for more information, please read this article.

I do know how to get into the utility page so i should go in there and set up right

Yes, I would recommend manually setting it up; although once you apply the above patch, the Network Magic program will more than likely work.

- Dan