Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AGP Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I'm still trying to clear up some confusion on my part about my computer's ability to run a high end AGP video card. Right now my computer shows the following (from Aida32 scan):

AGP Properties

AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Now the confusion. Lets say I purchase a video card that is AGP 4x/8x, based on my AGP setup, that card should run fine, but at the 4x speed right?

If the video card is 4x/8x, does that mean if my AGP supported speed was up to 8x and my Current AGP Speed was 8x, that same video card would run better, be faster, than if it ran at 4x?

If I bought a video card that is AGP 8x only, would that work in my computer or does it have to be 4x/8x?

I'm currently looking at buying a Radeon HD 2600 XT (512MB), a Radeon X 1950 PRO (512MB), or possibly a GeForce 7600 GS (512MB). I am currently running a GeForce N6600 (256MB) and I'm looking to make a serious jump in video card performance. I know since AGP is yesterday's news vs. PCI-E, that AGP cards are harder to find and therefore, more costly. But that's ok. I just want to get the best performance I can get from a card that will work on my AGP setup per Aida32.

Lastly, can I upgrade the AGP slot on my mobo to 8x?

Thanks

Greg

Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT/533MHz/512k 2GB RAM 160GB Hard Drive

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'm still trying to clear up some confusion on my part about my computer's ability to run a high end AGP video card. Right now my computer shows the following (from Aida32 scan):

AGP Properties

AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Current AGP Speed 4x

Now the confusion. Lets say I purchase a video card that is AGP 4x/8x, based on my AGP setup, that card should run fine, but at the 4x speed right?

If the video card is 4x/8x, does that mean if my AGP supported speed was up to 8x and my Current AGP Speed was 8x, that same video card would run better, be faster, than if it ran at 4x?

If I bought a video card that is AGP 8x only, would that work in my computer or does it have to be 4x/8x?

I'm currently looking at buying a Radeon HD 2600 XT (512MB), a Radeon X 1950 PRO (512MB), or possibly a GeForce 7600 GS (512MB). I am currently running a GeForce N6600 (256MB) and I'm looking to make a serious jump in video card performance. I know since AGP is yesterday's news vs. PCI-E, that AGP cards are harder to find and therefore, more costly. But that's ok. I just want to get the best performance I can get from a card that will work on my AGP setup per Aida32.

Thanks

Greg

as long as the card supports 4x speed it will work... If the card specs say 4x/8x it will work, but only at the 4x speed because the maximum transmission of your agp port is 4x.. an agp 2.0 port will run at 1x 2x and 4x.

more info.

http://www.interface...nector_AGP.html

Edited by jrm20, 29 January 2009 - 12:42 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

AGP Properties

AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Current AGP Speed 4x

Thanks

Greg

as long as the card supports 4x speed it will work... If the card specs say 4x/8x it will work, but only at the 4x speed because the maximum transmission of your agp port is 4x.. an agp 2.0 port will run at 1x 2x and 4x.

more info.

OK, that's good to know. Can I upgrade the AGP slot on my mobo to 8x, like an AGP 3.0?

Edited by konakula29er, 29 January 2009 - 02:19 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

AGP Properties

AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Current AGP Speed 4x

Thanks

Greg

more info.

OK, that's good to know. Can I upgrade the AGP slot on my mobo to 8x, like an AGP 3.0?

? you cannot upgrade ports or slots on a mobo as they are soldered onto the motherboard and are ran on certain bus speeds and the appropriate chipset. To get a newer agp port you would have to get a new motherboard but do not upgrade to another AGP MOTHERBOARD just to get the faster port because AGP technology is already old and outdated. You are better off getting a whole new pc buildup...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

AGP Properties

AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64MB
Current AGP Speed 4x

Thanks

Greg

more info.

? you cannot upgrade ports or slots on a mobo as they are soldered onto the motherboard and are ran on certain bus speeds and the appropriate chipset. To get a newer agp port you would have to get a new motherboard but do not upgrade to another AGP MOTHERBOARD just to get the faster port because AGP technology is already old and outdated. You are better off getting a whole new pc buildup...

Gotcha! Thank you.