Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't locate printer drivers to install printer

• Please log in to reply

Robie7642003

Robie7642003

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am attempting to print from an XP computer to a new Vista computer via a network. The printer is on the Vista computer via USB port. It was working perfectly well when the host computer was XP.

I am attempting to add the printer now. I am fine through the step of locating the printer I want to add on the XP machine. However, when it asks me to locate the printer driver, I am stumped. I know it was there because I have used the printer before with that machine. But I've also gone ahead and downloaded the XP driver again from the Canon site (Canon i960). But I can't seem to figure where to point the system to find the driver when it asks, and it won't find it on its own. I even downloaded again and saved to my desktop before running the driver install.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to point the system to find the driver when it asks (I guess I don't even know what the driver is called should I find the right path and folder!)

Larry

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Your XP driver is what your system needs to talk to the printer, (if you try to install a Vista driver on the XP system, it will not allow it). Be sure that the printer is shared to the network and File and printer sharing is ON in the Network sharing center. Another thing to check is that all your systems are on the same workgroup name!

One of Vista's big problems is it DOES not trust networks, so simple things like sharing printers may work one day and just not work the next, (I have a client who visits the office once and awhile and they are running a Panasonic all in one that was shared via a XP system. None of the other XP systems ever have a problem but the Vista will just not trust the connection more than a day or two..EVEN THOUGH IT WAS SET UP ON A TCP/IP PORT.. :) ) My last fix was to share the TCP connection on another XP workstation and link the Vista to that. That seems to work for now...

In your case, you may want to put the printer on an XP system and let the Vista system talk to it via the network. Make sure to map a network drive for Vista so you can "wake up" the network when you need it to print...

Hope this helps..

Edited by Mark D, 29 January 2009 - 02:18 PM.

Robie7642003

Robie7642003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Mark,
Thanks for that reply. Might be tough to switch the printer just due to locations in my house. Meanwhile it is an XP driver that I downloaded, but the thing is I have no idea where to find that file when the "Add Printer" wizard asks me to locate it. I think I'm looking for an .inf file somewhere.
I must say, since I started to build and configure my own computers, the learning never ends!
Thanks again,
Larry

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Larry,

Sorry about the rant on Vista, (sometimes its good to vent though) :)

When you get to where the XP system is asking for the driver, scroll down the manufacturer's list to Canon and then find your model in the right side window, (since this system did run it before XP should list it). If it's not there, the file you downloaded should be run which will extract its files, (it maybe in a C:\Canon folder if memory serves)

If your two systems stay on the network and don't travel much, you should be ok...

Hope this helps..