Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - watchdog.sys?

• Please log in to reply

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I was wondering if someone could help me with this error that has just started happening

I get the following

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xE0000001, 0xB47F3925, 0xAAAAE484, 0x00000000)

watchdog.sys - address B47F3925 base at B47F3000, datestamp 480254ab

This ONLY happens when I use Cyberlink's PowerDVD. I've had this program for years and never had any problems with it but this all started when I updated it to the latest version. I've since gone back to the version I previously had but it's still happening. It does'nt happen all the time, probably every 5th-6th time I use it.

I did some searching and saw that it could be related to a driver or RAM issue. I updated my graphics drivers and ran memtest86 which came back error free?.

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe
Open it, click Analyze button.
WhoCrashed will create report.
Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you for helping. Here's the information from WhoCrashed

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 29/01/2009 11:50:55 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ialmdev5.dll
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0x8897AA58, 0x890246D8, 0x89013228, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ialmdev5.dll
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT®
company: Intel Corporation
description: Component GHAL Driver

On Thu 29/01/2009 11:06:42 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: watchdog.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xE0000001, 0xB47F3925, 0xAAAAE484, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\watchdog.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Watchdog Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Thu 29/01/2009 1:27:38 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ialmdd5.dll
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xE0000001, 0xB4717925, 0xAAC9D8F4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ialmdd5.dll
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT®
company: Intel Corporation
description: DirectDraw® Driver for Intel® Graphics Technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There are two files involved:
- watchdog.sys - this is Windows file, so make sure, the Windows updates are current
- ialmdev5.dll - this is a part of your on-board video; reinstall chipset driver (what brand, and model of the computer?)

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

There are two files involved:
- watchdog.sys - this is Windows file, so make sure, the Windows updates are current

Windows update downloaded and installed - Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family update (KB951847) x86

- ialmdev5.dll - this is a part of your on-board video; reinstall chipset driver (what brand, and model of the computer?)

I went to intel to reinstall chipset driver (i845G) and after downloading and running the "INF update utility" program, I get a message saying: Successfully installed Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. Before you can use the program you must restart your computer.

Once the computer has restarted i'm just back at Windows. Should something load from the software update or has it already updated?. How can I use the program after restarting if I dont even know where/what it is? lol

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Broni,

I currently am also getting some help in the Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here forum and did'nt know that it was'nt recommended to have 2 topics going at once. I am putting this problem on hold until I have finished with emeraldnzl.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good, you told me. Clean computer is always a priority.

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have finished with emeraldnzl in the Malware forum and if you are still willing to help with my issue here I would appreciate it.

Again I apologise for any inconvenience.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem at all :)
Please, post the link to your thread in malware forum. I'd like to see, what happened there.
Also, let me know what got improved, and what are the current issues.

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Here's the link to my thread in the Malware forum

http://www.geekstogo...og-t226586.html

There were/are no malware or virus issues to speak of.

Advertisements

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Update: Just ran Cyberlink Powerdvd again and once again the system froze and I got this message (1st time i've seen this one).

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xAE197E20, 0x0000000, 0x804D9A69, 0x00000000)

I should mention that these BSOD errors happen ONLY when I go to close the program. It runs fine but whenever I go to shut it down that's when it happens.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. One step at a time. From your HJT log, I can see there is no antivirus program installed, but I can see some Norton's leftovers.
What's the story here?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As I said before, the error, most likely, has something to do with the video driver, but....one step at a time.
I need an answer to the Norton question, first.

Edited by Broni, 31 January 2009 - 08:22 PM.

bluefalcon

bluefalcon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Norton came with the computer but it has'nt been active for a number of years. Once the trial version expired it was never renewed or used again.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Ok if I might butt in here.

Good that I have been monitoring this and thanks Broni for noticing that. My bad. :)

bluefalcon you need to have a good antivirus before the tech guys can help you.

First please go to add or remove programs in you Control Panel and uninstall Norton Symantec.

After that go here Norton Removal Tool to remove left over bits of the Norton AntiVirus Program. Choose the link for the version you had and then download and run the removal progam.

Next

Here are three good antivirus (these are also free for personal use):
  • It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

Here are two good firewalls free for personal use:
  • Comodo Note:Comodo Firewall is no longer available as a stand-alone download and you should choose firewall only during installation.
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus

Once you have installed those update and run a full scan of your computer.

After that come back and unless there are any malware issues resume your discussion with Broni.

Note: Choose only one of the AVs and or Firewalls. Running two or more live anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewalls will result in conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

Edited by emeraldnzl, 31 January 2009 - 08:49 PM.