Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DQS training failed on previous boot

• Please log in to reply

Briannola

Briannola

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I took jrm20 recommendation of Jan 10 2009 and upgraded with the following

model of the motherboard: FOXCONNA7DA Serries
model of the memory:F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ DDR2-1066 PC28500 2048MB x2
model of the CPU:AMD Phenom II
model of video card: I have a Radeon HD 44670 but have not installed it yet until I can fix thhis prolem

I just upgraded my computer with the above. When I start the computer I get "DQS training failed on previous boot, Revert to slower DRAM speed"
Press F1 to resume.

If I reboot I don't get the message but if I turn off the computer for a while and turn it on, I get the same error message. I pulled out one stick of RAM and got the same message. I change to the other piece and get the same error. It only happens if I turn off the computer for a whil and then turn it back on. I do not get this message when I reboot or shut off the computer for a few minutes. Can this be fixed or is this bad RAM?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

jrm20 is one of our valued Tech Staff members. I'll draw his attention to this thread, as I'm sure he'll remember the previous thread, and be able to help you further.

In the meantime, if you've installed a new motherboard, have you selected to "set defaults" (usually by pressing F5 in the BIOS)?

If it's bad RAM, you can run a memtest diagnostic by my walkthrough here.

Cheers

Troy

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks. I will try the memory test utility. I have loaded the defaults with both pieces and with each stick in. I still get the same error. I am standing by and will let you know if I find anything.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I conducted the memory test and memory passed all test with no errors.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Would you mind providing a link for all of the parts you have purchased?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Procesor:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103472

MOBO:
http://www.newegg.co.......p;x=20&y=33

RAM:
http://www.newegg.co...Tpk=F2-8500CL6D

PSU:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371010

I also bought a video card but I have not installed it because I get the DQS training failed error and want to correct the problem first.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102792

The case, monitor, keyboard and mouse is from previous build (preupgrade computer).

Please help soon so that I can return the RAM/MOBO if required.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The motherboard link is dead, that's one I'm particularly interested in, mind trying again?

Does the system work at all? I.E. once it's given you that error, are you able to continue on and use the computer properly?

Edited by Troy, 03 February 2009 - 06:45 PM.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sorry for the delay. Cox internet was dead yesterday. Here it is

http://www.newegg.co...x...&Tpk=A7DA-S

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
There sure are a lot of comments/reviews there.

Does the system work at all? I.E. once it's given you that error, are you able to continue on and use the computer properly?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It work but not at the 1066 speed that it should work at. I just received an email from g.skill saying that this RAM is not for AMD. Although I can't find anywhere that states this is the incorrect RAM.

Again, I built this at jrm20 suggestion so I thought he may have some experience with it. I am surprised I could not get a response from him.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
jrm20 favours G.SKILL for their price/performance. Don't forget we're all volunteers here, I haven't seen jrm20 logged in for a while. He'll pop in from time to time when he can.

I have just noticed something, this:

Features: Intel Chipsets only

So it seems like it's only going to hit the rated speed of 1066MHz on an Intel chipset. That being said, it's most probably reverted to running at 800MHz, can you confirm this? If this is the case, you won't notice any performance difference between the two speeds on your system.

Are you noticing any particular problems with the system, or just the one error message upon bootup?

Troy

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes it revets to 800MZ. G.skill states that this RAM is for INTEL only. I have a RMA # to return it.

I understand completely that you guys are volunteers and you do a great job. I also understand that if I go with a suggestion (as I did with jrm20) that it is my decision completly. I just tought I would see jrm20 in the forum and that he may have seen a few of these and would be able to recognize the symptoms.

I plan to get the Kingston KHX8500D2/1G 1GB 1066MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) DIMM (x2). Do you think this is good RAM?

Thanks for your help.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yes it revets to 800MZ. G.skill states that this RAM is for INTEL only. I have a RMA # to return it.

I understand completely that you guys are volunteers and you do a great job. I also understand that if I go with a suggestion (as I did with jrm20) that it is my decision completly. I just tought I would see jrm20 in the forum and that he may have seen a few of these and would be able to recognize the symptoms.

I plan to get the Kingston KHX8500D2/1G 1GB 1066MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) DIMM (x2). Do you think this is good RAM?

Thanks for your help.

That is really weird I am sorry about that. Even though it does say 1066 speed INTEL ONLY which I have never seen before, You SHOULD still be able to achieve the 1066 speed IF you up the voltage to 2.0 in the bios and if you manually mess around with the mem speed.

If not I apologize, just get a different kind of memory if you are not satisfied. That week I helped you was my first week training at my new job. Since then I had few more weeks of training then had to work 10 days out of 11.. I have been very busy here lately..

If the ram works fine at 800mhz speed I would keep it. The 1066mhz ram will not be faster in a persons eyes anyway.. :)

I was just trying to find you the best price/performance on memory and that Gskill was the one. Again the INTEL ONLY at 1066 mhz is a new one for me lol.

If you still have the gskill, make sure the voltage is 2.0 and it SHOULD do the advertised 1066mhz.

Edited by jrm20, 06 February 2009 - 08:54 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes I agree, never heard of "Intel Only" RAM either, and running at 800MHz is more than enough for all but the extreme enthusiasts.

That being said, Kingston make excellent RAM, and it would be a fine choice.

Troy

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I think I am missing something. I have never changed the voltage on RAM before but I understand the process. When I try to increase the voltage, the computer only allows a 600mv increase. The current voltage is 1.33 for the 800mhz. By increasing it the max of 600mv, that only gives me 1.93 v and the screen blinks out.Am I missing something or should I be able to increase to 2.0v?

This is from g.skill tech support:
Dear customer
The memory you purchased, is not for AMD platform. It will not work on AMD system on DDR2 1066.
FYI, we have other model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK that works on AMD (only 2 modules) but every AMD motherboard has problem to run 4 modules on DDR2 1066.
Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Thanks again.