Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Issue

• Please log in to reply

riggse

riggse

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a Asus p5n32e sli plus mobo and a intel core2 duo cpu. my video cards a 7950 xfx gtx.

i had an issue with my comp for a while now. i finally took it in to comp renissance here in nashiville tn, and was told that it was a bad cpu. i called intel and they agreed to cover the warranty and sent me a new one in return for the bad one. once recieved and installed i boot my comp and it run fine for about 10 minutes. i started a game i normally play online, EVE and it locks up and gets all grainy and choppy. i get nothing with ctrl alt del so i reset my system. asus logon comes up really choppy. with little boxes flashing with check marks and hearts all over em. it does boot though and goes into windows. i try to reset my video driver via dc and online. but no difference. i even plugged in a different drive and tried to reinstall xp...but nothing changed. i get no beeps other than the normal beep...but now it wont go into windows at all unless im in safe mode and then its still bad screen...any ideas?

i tried to go into my bios and reset defaults, and even tried to reset by jumper. and nothing...and its issues even exist in the bios...

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Is you computer still under warranty? If so, bring it back at once for a complete checkup.

riggse

riggse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it is under warranty, and atm its at the shop. i was hoping id get a bit more in the way of tech response from posting on this site though. a bit disappointing really

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since the problem exists even at BIOS level it points to a faulty hardware. It can be the video card, memory, overheating or faulty CPU, BIOS itself, a bus or a chip on the motherboard etc etc. To pinpoint the problem you must make a step by step diagnosis. Quite often these problems are caused by faulty video card, and that's where I would probably begin.

riggse

riggse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well,,,it seems it the video card and nothing else. the techs at the shop plugged it up with another card and it worked fine for the entire day. so i relay to anyone who googles video card problems... dont believe all you read, cause if i had id be rma-ing my mobo atm. as i was told on countless sites (not this one) that if the video problem exsists on the bios lvl...then its most likely an issue with the mother board..

Now i just have to get XFX to reply to my now 6 day old support ticket...i have always used Asus in the past. they are a bit more expensive but i have never had a problem with any of their cards. mobo is different story, but when i called to talk about a replacement with Asus, they were on the ball. 15 days to get a new one. in box and retailed equiped.
my best experience yet, was with intel. my cpu died and it took from the day i shipped the old one off, 5 days to get the new one. and they offered to ship it out the day i reported the issue. but wanted me to give a 25.oo sec deposit till they recieved the old one. so i opted to pass on that one.

so intel...5 stars
Asus..4.5 stars
XFX....as of now...0 stars. be warned when buying form these guys. ill keep this part updated...btw XFX offers a lifetime warranty on my card and most others. (so they say)