Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hub/Router Security

• Please log in to reply

RonS2

RonS2

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi - I'm contemplating changing my Broadband provider from Tiscali to TalkTalk and at the same time obtaining a router from them so that I can add a laptop in the near future. I've read articles about WiFi security and they all seem to be in agreement that WPA is now the thing to have because WEP is 'hackable'.

Has anyone had a bad experience in this area ? In particular does anyone know whether the current TALKtalk hub/router issued by Talktalk has WEP or WPA security included.?

TIA

RonS2

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Ron,

As you mentioned, WEP is indeed useless now-a-days. For this reason, most new hardware provides support for both WEP and WPA; I would imagine your new ISP would attempt to provide at least reasonably up-to-date hardware. Do you know the make and model of the router that TalKTalk will provide you?

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with the above ISP; perhaps other users do and will provide you with more relevant feedback.

- Dan

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for replying Dan.

I've now found some details that seem to indicate the router is a HUAWEI HG520b and the details mention both WEP and WPA as being available. It's not a maker that I have come across before but I'm comforted by the fact that it has both safety features available . The fact that it's a free issue does swing the selection process heavily in its favour. Have you any knowledge of the router ?

Ron