Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When i shut down it brings up ending program sample

• Please log in to reply

anjan73

anjan73

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

When i shut down the computer it brings up ending program sample and it won't close down until i have clicked end now, i have searched through the other forums and have been unable to find a solution and was hoping someone out there knows how to stop it.
I recently re installed windows as i was having problems and it has all been fine except this one problem when i shut down any guidance will be gratefully recieved.

I am running xp

Long live Geeks :)

Anjan

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
It looks like an application is still running and not completed when you try to shut down your computer. You may have too many processes running in the background. Is your computer usually slow?

anjan73

anjan73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not usually, i was having problems with it being slow before i reinstalled windows but it appears ok at mo?
it does sometimes run away in the backround what processes should i be running are there some i could disable??

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You may have too many unnecessary applications running in the background. If you post back a screenshot of your processes, perhaps I could help you decide which entries should be unchecked in the Startup tab in msconfig.

Open your task manager (ctrl+alt+del), click on the Processes tab and make a screenshot of what you see by clicking on ALT+Printscreen and pasting it in MS Paint. Save as a JPEG file and post it back here.

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 11:28 AM.

anjan73

anjan73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
wow never knew you could that :)

Here's the log

Attached Thumbnails

• Log.JPG

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
SearchIndexer is an add-on on Windows XP but standard on Vista. It's a Windows Desktop Search executable. It's known to sometimes consume a lot of system resources.

You could try to disable it to see if the problem persists.

Here's how:

Go to Start / Run / type services.msc / ok

Find the SearchIndexer service and disable it (it should be in automatic).

Reboot

See if it helps. You can always enable it again later if you want.

While you're at it, can you tell me how much RAM you have? Thanks

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 11:15 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please write down what causes the slow shut down. It is written at the top of the message. This will help us to pinpoint the source of the problem.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Well, I'm still waiting for a reply on her part to know if she tried my suggestion. People disappear and don't come back some times. It's hard to help them that way.

I know, I know, they may have other obligations, I understand that too.

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 03:04 PM.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Please write down what causes the slow shut down. It is written at the top of the message. This will help us to pinpoint the source of the problem.

That's the point, she doesn't know.

anjan73

anjan73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi sorry i'm back now had to go out for few hours i did try what you suggested before i went and it is still bringing up the ending sample program, i also looked on system information about RAM and it said 496 mb of RAM hope that makes sense????

:)

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
As The Skeptic wrote, what is the application taking so much time to shut down? It would be nice if we could get a screenshot of the window but I understand it may be impossible.

496 Mb of RAM is not enough for XP. 512 Mb is a minimum but not optimal. If you want things to go smoothly you would be better with 1 Gb.

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 03:35 PM.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok, before shutting down your computer, have you closed every programs you were running, like for example: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.?

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 03:52 PM.

anjan73

anjan73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Right i've managed to get screenshots of the shutting down windows task 1 is what comes up 1st and unless you click end now it brings up the 2nd box (task 2) hope this helps.

anjan73

anjan73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Task_1.JPG
  • task_2.JPG

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Can you post the screenshots?

Edit

Ok I see you did, thanks.

Edited by karbo, 30 January 2009 - 03:57 PM.