Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to fix my lap top? ahh..

• Please log in to reply

beachlover2323

beachlover2323

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my lap top just keep going back to safe mode each time i turn it on and i try to go to the new screen it just goes back to their and im not sure what to do does any one have any ideas on how ican reset it i have windows xp media running on my computer... i dont know if it needs to be installed the system but when i got it it was pre installed soo im not sure if that means i have to buy a new system if any one can help me asto what to do.. that would be great.. can i re do it with out a system or do u guys think it is a different problem.. thanks soo much..

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hi beachlover2323 and Welcome to Geeks-to-Go.

First of all, your laptop is not broken- far from it. Any system that can boot successfully to Safe Mode is usually OK. So~ no panic, OK? Just take a couple of deep breaths and we'll start working on the issue.

Further, all your data is safe, and you can even access it from Safe Mode. Sure, it looks goofy, but it is still Windows, and all your files are right where you left them. Certain things don't work in Safe Mode because their drivers are not loaded, but that does not mean that anything is broken.

First I'd like you to try "Last Known Good Configuration." To do this, shut down the system completely, and as soon as you push the power button begin tapping the F8 key about twice a second. (Not too fast- that can be a problem on some machines)

Soon you will be presented with a black screen with white writing. Use the arrow keys of the keyboard to move the highlighting to "Last Known Good Configuration (your settings that worked)." Press the Enter key.
Some systems will make you press it again to select the Operating System even when you only have Windows installed. If so, just press Enter again. This should always be the first thing to try whenever the system begins to get 'goofy.'

If that does not do the trick we need to see if the system is actually being instructed to boot to Safe Mode. To do this, open a Run box from the Start Menu, type msconfig and then press the Enter key. This will work fine in Safe Mode.

When msconfig opens, left click the "General" tab if it isn't already open. The top little circle (Radio Button) should be marked for "Normal Startup..." If it is not, make it so and then Apply.

Now open the "BOOT.INI" tab and uncheck any of the boxes that are checked there. Apply OK.

I suggest that you make no other changes to msconfig at this time.

If you need to get online with your computer while 'stuck' in Safe Mode, use the F8 method to choose Safe Mode with Networking. this will load the drivers for your network card and allow you internet access.

Do be sure to start your 'security' programs first if they do not start automatically in Safe Mode.

Let me know how things are working out. There's still more that can be done.