Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System build, OS help please

• Please log in to reply

cooka

cooka

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys. I have just built my second (ever) machine and am trying to install Windows Vista. I have added a brand new HD sataII Seagate 160gb, i have a intel 2.4ghz cpu, 1gb ram and also a new cd/dvd player also sata. When i try to install vista it asks me for drivers, i have tried looking for the sata drivers and RAID 0 & 1 drivers but none have worked. Any advice / help would be great thanks!

Cooka

Advertisements

Robie7642003

Robie7642003

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
Same experience level--2nd build just completed--so take my answer with that in mind. Did your drives comes with drivers on a CD? If you don't have them, could you download them from the manufacturer's site on another computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive? Then insert them when the installation process asks.
As for RAID, I am pretty sure on my motherboard I would have to first establish that in BIOS, not during OS installation. I could be mistaken on that since I only checked it out, but decided against RAID at the last minute. (Also wouldn't you need two hard drives for RAID?)
Anyway, hope this helps a bit,
Larry

cooka

cooka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi mate. Thanks for you reply. No my HD didnt come with cd drivers. In my bios set up the hard drive is detected. Its when i try to install vista that it asks for drivers. And vista being vista doesnt tell me which drivers i need. Your theroy on putting the drivers to CD or Flash drive is correct that can certainly be done. I think i need the SATA or SATA2 drivers but cant seem to find them for my mobo ( PSLP-LE ). Thanks for your suggestion. Anymore help / advice is appreciated. As for RAID you could be right, i just saw a simular post on another forum suggesting RAID drivers.

cooka

Edited by cooka, 30 January 2009 - 03:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello cooka...

You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for your motherboard before the drives will be detected by Windows. You'll find them on the disk that came with your motherboard.

wannabe1

cooka

cooka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi mate. Thanks for your reply. Il try that and get back to you. I dont have the drivers on cd for my motherboard but im sure i can find them on the net. Il go try and get back to you. Thanks for your advice!

cooka

cooka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok hi guys. I found the drivers for my motherboard (P5LP-LE) and put them on my datastick. Put the stick in before boot up and booted up. Ran the vista installation disk and i got to the "you need drivers" part again, so went to explore my drives and went to my stick but no drivers were there? IT wouldnt reconise them? Not sure what to do now? Thanks in advance again. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the driver files you downloaded, is there a directory named "Make Disk"? If there is, you need to drill into that directory to find the appropriate drivers. Explore the file and see if that Directory and it's sub directories are present.

cooka

cooka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys. Thought i would just reply and tell you that i have finally got the [bleep] thing to work. I searched for the drivers and found the sata drivers, but them on a data stick and booted up, it then went straight into it. The drivers can be found here -> http://downloadcente...s...al&lang=eng

Thanks for your help again!!!!!!!

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I know you solved it already, but after struggling with this same problem, I realized it was much easier if you have another PC around with SATA, you can install the OS from that other PC and should get around the drivers problem