Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restored XP and problems with sp3/Norton/webpages

• Please log in to reply

sylviesinc

sylviesinc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, this is my first post and I hope it's in the correct place.

My husband's laptop runs WXP and my PC runs Vista and we have been happily surfing via our Belkin router for 2 years. His laptop was up to date including service pack 3 with no problems. I had uninstalled the Norton 2006 security after the first couple of months and installed first of all free Avasti and later free AVG.

Two days ago he got a bad virus and I had no option but to do a factory restore from the recovery disc. This obviously gave him back the Norton which I left in pending all the Windows downloads that I knew would come in. Although I couldn't connect him to our network again, he managed to connect to the wireless network when I removed the security (not a problem as we live in a rural area).

Then today I installed service pack 3 plus IE7 and loads of critical updates. Suddenly, although he is still connected to the wireles network, he gets "page not found" every time he tries to go to a website. I think the problem is Norton because he had no problems before when he was running Avasti then AVG.

Here's the question. As he cannot connect to download any removal tools (or the great uninstaller Revo) would it be better to remove service pack 3 (and is this possible or recommended?) or should I just uninstall Norton via add/remove and see if he can then connect and download the removal tools?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sylviesinc...

You can remove Norton through Add or Remove Programs. Start with the main program and work up the list. Another option is to download the Norton Removal Tool and transfer it to the other machine using a flash drive or CD. I really do recommend running the tool, even after an uninstall, as Norton tends to shred when it uninstalls...leaving bits and pieces of itself all over the place.

wannabe1

sylviesinc

sylviesinc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks. I used the tool successfully and so far everything is going great. Fingers crossed!!