Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen-----half not working

• Please log in to reply

oodles of noodles

oodles of noodles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have not dropped it since i have got it. I really need help with this, im getting sick of using a monitor, thats why i bought a Laptop. help please.

Posted Image

there. its so annoying.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

If you connect the notebook to an external monitor, is the display normal? When you move the lid on the notebook, does the display alter at all? I once had to do emergency surgery on a mini notebook I was using in China when its display just failed, but I'm not sure what yours is doing...

oodles of noodles

oodles of noodles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its normal when i connect it to a external monitor, and the blurry part changes colors when the actual screen changes colors

Edited by oodles of noodles, 31 January 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
OK,

You're sure there was no large shock force to the laptop screen? Perhaps an angry slam down when the lotto numbers were wrong?

oodles of noodles

oodles of noodles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yep
besides
lottories arent my thing

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Warranty status on the notebook? It could be your best course of action. This is either signal cable or LCD screen fault, (since external video is OK).

(Sorry about the lotto joke). :)

oodles of noodles

oodles of noodles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, i bought it off ebay so he may have dropped it but i doubt it because i have had it for like a month before this happened. there isnt a warranty im guessing.

whats a signal cable?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Notebooks have a special cable that's built into the housing and the tricky bit is going through your hinge areas. Have you ever opened a notebook housing before? You may have to inspect the connection on the motherboard where this cable connects to. On my mini notebook in China, the hinge mechanism slowly dislodged the signal cable from its MB connection. I had to use super glue to stabilize it so I could continue using it.

I'd 1st do some research on your notebook model and see if there's a service manual or instructions available on the web. You might be luck and be able to see this connection through one of the panels on the bottom, (memory cover, or hard drive enclosure), but on some, you may have to remove or lift the keyboard...

Or take it to a service center. Your 1/2 screen display is not being caused by a software problem...