Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Static Charge problem

• Please log in to reply

fps

fps

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Well I have encountered a rather strange problem with my custom computer... As of lately my computer has been just shutting down unexpectedly and I had no idea how or why. It was just a couple months ago I figured it out... it was anything that has a static charge to it getting too close to the computer itself. Anytime my cat walks by it the cpu will shut down. Even a person standing next to it will trigger it to restart/shut off... I have experimented with it and i am 99% sure it is the problem (i would rub feet on carpet and stand next to it then try it again after not rubbing feet etcetc)

Below is what my case is and it is resting on my floor. I have not tried to prop something under it yet to take the charge away but its risky just having it take a charge like that and run it through the whole case possibly damaging any hardware inside...

What do you guys think? Any similar problems?? :)

Nemesis Case

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

Static electricity will kill any component.

Even though it is somewhat strange that a static charge is effecting it to that degree, it is not unusual for static to create issues.
I deal with static on some of the equipment I work on.
Usually you have to identify the problem (sounds like you have) and eliminate it.
Since you can't eliminate it, we have to deal with it.

The biggest thing to eliminating static is proper grounding. Grounding will carry away through the proper path the static charge. That is all outlets, plugs, wires (cable to power supply), and internal case grounding.
1. The outlet the computer is plugged in to needs to be grounded (as all outlets per electrical code).
2. The power supply needs to be grounded.
3. The cable from the wall to the back of computer could have a bad ground.

You will have to look at all cables and plugs and connectors for bad grounds and wires.