Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection sharing problem on ad-hoc network

• Please log in to reply

Lixpas

Lixpas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I have a problem with Windows Internet Connection Sharing. I set up an Ad-hoc wireless network between my host computer (which has LAN internet connecion) with client notebook, both with Windows XP. This network works fine. I also set up ICS on the host computer, but this doesn't work.

Notebook recognizes the shared connection, it seems connected, there are packets flowing between host and client, but I can't connect to any webpage on notebook.

Computer's LAN connection is flawless.

I can ping computer from notebook and vice versa.

Computer's IP is same as the notebooks gateway.

When pinging any page from notebook, it translates its address to IP so obviously DNS works, but the page still cannot be pinged (it is timeouted).

There is no firewall involved, Windows firewall as well as Bitdefender is turned off on both, the computer and the notebook.

ICS properties can be managed even from the notebook.

I tried setting the ICS manually and through the wizard, but nothing works.

I would really appreciate any help, hint or advice, because I am out of ideas, what can be wrong. But please don't tell me to buy router, because I need this option only few days a month when I am on visit,
it is not how I connect to internet on daily basis, I have a router at home. Thanks a lot in advance for any idea.

Lixpas

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Lixpas and welcome to GeeksToGo :) It looks like you've done a pretty good job troubleshooting this so far -- thanks for the in-depth post.

On both machines, can you please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

There is no firewall involved, Windows firewall as well as Bitdefender is turned off on both, the computer and the notebook.

Just to make sure, I would recommend restarting both machines in Safe mode with Networking to ensure there is no software interference.

What Internet connection are you using, and who is your ISP?

- Dan