Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

going wireless

• Please log in to reply

mmb001

mmb001

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Do I need a wireless desktop card for my desktop computer if I only want to go wireless with my nintendo wii? I don't mind the computer being wired but I don't want to run the wire to the living room for the wii

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I just set my sister's Wii up for Internet use. You must have a wireless router for the Wii and run through the instructions for setting it up. Getting a wireless router AND a wireless PC card will free both uo from any ethernet cables, but you don't need the card for the PC. It will be wired to router and router to modem.

mmb001

mmb001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I will only need the wireless router and I should be good to go?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wireless for Wii only will just require the wireless router. Set up for Wii, after you have router going , is in the Wii Menu. It is much, much easier to go to support.nintendo.com for the Wii setup and get their 800 number for the W29 Channel. Calling a live person to walk you through it is better than me trying to get the steps across here. Althoough the Wii will/can do an automatic wireless search for the router, there may be some changes you have to put in for the SSID.

mmb001

mmb001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the help! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Got my sister's TiVo and Wii wireless. Now if I can get her to get a new PC and get rid of the old clunker.

mmb001

mmb001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Working on my husband for cable :) :) It depends on what your talking about with the clucker. All you can find now is VISTA :) I'm good with the cluckers.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Her PC is old and her son has talked her into getting an iMac. Super fast. Think she'll like it although she hates change. I have computers with XP and some with Vista. The newer PCs are Vista.