Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ctrl, shift, alt, enter and start keys BEEP.

• Please log in to reply

medusa9

medusa9

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
It happens every morning I boot up XP. If I press any of the mentioned keys they make atari sounding bleeps - They only beep once per key strike but some keys have a different beep.
As soon as I press any other keys it will stop and not beep when pressed until I reboot.
It started when I installed a games program. I've since removed the games but beeping continues.

I've checked for malware - None: http://www.geekstogo...58#entry1445558
I've checked sticky keys - Off
I've searched the forum - Nothing specific

Please help?
Thank you.
-Lisa

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
:) Hello

I had a problem where Sticky Keys turned on whenever I log or reboot, etc... I'm not sure how I fixed the problem, but I managed to get it to stop..

Your problem sounds very similar to what mine was.. If it is sticky keys, then after pressing two keys (Ctrl, Shift, alt, Windows logo key, etc.) at the same time, it would stop. Give it a test, and then give me results of your findings...

Good Luck,
piano9playa5

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
System Restore to before the game?

medusa9

medusa9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
piano9playa5 you hit the nail on the head... well... close enough, anyway!
:) I decided to double check sticky-keys (Control Panel>Accessability Options) to make sure it wasn't activated. It wasn't - but I decided to click the rest of the tabs anyway and make sure nothing else was enabled. There was an option under the General tab "Make a sound when turning a feature on or off" that was checked.
I unchecked it... rebooted... hit the ctrl key... blissful nothing......... yeahhhhh! Thank you guys so much for the help and advice.

:)

Edited by medusa9, 31 January 2009 - 04:59 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Nice job :)