Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File permissions without admin rights

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CainUllah

CainUllah

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I have a work computer that has recently had some company updates installed, the details of which I am unsure. However, I do have a piece of software that is fully licensed that is for personal use that I use on my machine. I have permission to install software on my company laptop if it is licensed but IT support are not allowed to help me with Personal App issues.

The problem I have is that the program I use writes to the 'my documents' folder every time it starts and since the update, every folder in 'documents and settings' has been set to read only. This results in the software I am trying to start crashing every time I start it.

Has anyone got any advice as to how I can update the permissions on the 'my documents' folder. It appears to inherit the permissions from a parent folder i.e the 'documents and settings' folder but I do not have privileges to changes this. I do however, have privileges to go into the registry, view permissions in the securities tab of a folder etc... which makes me think I do have permissions but am just doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Cain

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This is a difficult issue, Cain. If your company has set the "My Documents" folder to 'read-only' your IT dept. must have a reason. Apparently they do not want their employees to 'save' documents to that folder. We just cannot assist in bypassing security measures emplaced by the system's owner (the company).

I feel that it would be more ethical for you to modify your application's settings so as to write its data to a folder of your creation than to seek to change the system settings emplaced by the company.

Since you do not have Admin rights on the system, Geeks-to-Go cannot help you take actions that are above your permission level.

Geeks-to-Go is here for thousands of computer users every day. We cannot put that at risk by engaging in practices that might be construed to be unethical or even illegal.

I hope that you can uderstand our position, and do not take this as a personal affront. We find ourselves in this position often, and we are always sorry not to be able to fufill a request for help.

Best of luck to you in resolving the problem. Stop back anytime with issues with which we can help.

CainUllah

CainUllah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the quick response. That's fair enough. The piece of software I'm using is Traktor by Native Instruments. I can't even start it to change any settings. I believe by default it must have access to the my documents folder.

Anyway, not a problem. I totally understand the ethics behind your response.

I think I'm barking up the wrong tree however as I have noticed that almost every directory has read only permissions set on my PC. I am also able to open other documents such as Traktor LE for example.

I'll keep investigating anyway.

Thanks
Cain