Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Comparison (Gaming PC)

• Please log in to reply

Skerne

Skerne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I'm new to the forums, nice to meet you all. I'm a bit of a gamer and i've been upgrading my PC piece by piece to more of the latest bits and pieces to play more of the latest games and upcoming ones. My current setup is:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
Intel Core 2 Duo e6420 @ 3Ghz
BFG GeForce 7950GT 512mb OC
4GB DDR2-800 RAM

I've upgraded everything but the processor and video card, and now it's time to upgrade the video card. The only problem is is that when it comes to picking one, I get lost in the specification hoo-ha. To be honest, I don't understand it much at all. Because of this, I was wondering if I could ask for advice in picking the best card from these two, which have been customised slightly (either by OC or a custom cooler).

Gainward Bliss 8800GTS 512mb - (http://www.gainward....gapro.php?id=52) overclocked to the following settings listed on the following image:

Posted Image

BFG 8800GT 512mb OC - (http://www.bfgtech.c...88512gtoce.aspx) - Akasa Vortex Neo custom cooler.

Another question is, what kind of power supply would hold these cards decently? I have an Antec modular power supply (650w) I recieved with my Antec 900 case, but assume that the overclock on the first card listed might be a bit of a strain on the supply.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Skerne, 30 January 2009 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Skerne, welcome to Geeks to Go!

The 8800GTS 512MB is the better card. Also, 650W is more than enough to power it. I'm running two overclocked 8800GTS 512MB cards on 700W.

Skerne

Skerne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much, stettybet0. The community seems really nice, i've taken a look around and love the place so far. I'm definitely staying!

May I ask if you recommend a new cooler for this card due to the overclocking placed upon it, or should it be fine on it's own?

Thank you for your time.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 8800GTS 512MB comes with a dual-slot cooler which is very effective. I wouldn't preemptively buy an aftermarket cooler for it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying G2G.

Skerne

Skerne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright. Thank you very much for your help.