Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittant BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Chazz K

Chazz K

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I really don't know what's causing this. I get it every once in a great while, but I can't pin it down. I don't THINK it's the hardware, a friend of mine works as a computer tech and he ran a memory/processor test that passed with flying colors. I've already fixed everything I can think of in Windows... Can anyone help me out and point me to what could be the problem?

The ONLY clue I have is that a program crashed much earlier in the day, literally about 4 hours before this happened. Could there have been some residual bit in the memory that caused it?

Attached Files

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your dump file refers to PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error at win32k.sys
It looks to me like RAM problem.

Run memtest

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

Chazz K

Chazz K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ran it overnight, using all tests, 9 passes on all four gigs of memory. No failures, no problems at all.

It couldn't POSSIBLY be that I have 4 gigs of memory, but Windows XP is only seeing as 3.5, could it?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It's normal for 32-bit system. It won't see whole 4GB.
You have to remember, that no software RAM test (like memtest) is 100% reliable, so...
Since you have a looooot of RAM (XP really needs no more than 1GB), leave just one RAM stick (do you have 4x1GB, or 2x2GB?), remove the others, and run the computer like that for a while. If it checks out, add another stick, and so on.