Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a free tune up utility or optimizer for 98?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I have a second computer running windows 98. Is there something that is comparable to tune up utilities 2009 that will work with 98?

Or a list of programs that are free to help tune up.

Thanks,

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Miracle tools don't work.
What wrong with 98 computer?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, I'm trying to just get it in good working order. Polish it up. It sat in the basement unused for years and I recently just got into computers as a hobby and looking to go to school for it.

However, I have been getting "this program has performed an illegal operation..." message on just about every program I use. It seems to be sporadic and not just when I open a program or when I do certain things in a program.

I just researched some of that tonight and seemed to find some helpful suggestions, but I have not tried yet.

What do you suggest?

The reason I was looking for a tool to use was because atf cleaner, jkdefrag, and tune up utilities 2009 along with a ram upgrade turned my parents horribly slow computer into a smooth running machine. It was amazing the difference I saw. Oh, and i installed avg, spybot, and adaware and ran them which I'm sure helped the most. Found a ton of viruses.

All in all, I'm going to do the same sort of thing with this computer, but not all the above programs work with 98.

Computer is a Gateway Essential 450. Windows 98 Pentium 3 like 400mhz processor? and 384mb of ram. It's a second computer LOL.

Thanks,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since the computer sat in basement for years, I assume, there is no important data on it.
Win 98 clean reinstall will be your best option, if......there are no hardware problems present.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Now you got my attention! Let's do that. I don't know how obviously. I just realized one reason why I hadn't tried that sort of thing is my brother wanted to keep a program on it (dont ask). But he told me just the other day I could delete it.

So, let's do something like this. Can you tell me where to start or what to do?

Thanks,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Here you go: http://www.geekstogo...s-98-t9803.html

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks! I'm sure I will start a fire so I'll keep you updated :) and let you know how it goes.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Oh, I don't have the CD. Of course. In Windows 98 when I am in the part that says "make boot disk" is that where I can burn a new cd or is that different?

Thanks,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, you need real Windows CD.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah I don't have that, I can try looking around later, it's late. So, I would have to buy one if not? I'm not looking to put money into this old of a computer, just trying to learn from messing around with it and stuff.

Thanks,

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may try eBay.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Can you explain to me how buying a OS cd works? Does each cd have its own product ID key or do I just need any windows 98 cd and enter my own product key? And then register online or what?

Cause there is a product key on the side or back of most computers right? Or is that something else?

I have seen tons of OS cds for sale on Craigslist and I'm sure Ebay is the same. If its fairly cheap I wouldn't mind doing that.

Sorry for all the beginner questions.

Thanks,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem at all :)

You need to use ID key, which belongs to your computer. CDs don't have keys. They're all the same.
You don't have register anything with Win 98. I believe, registration thing started with XP.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Talk about back and forth...my sister comes over today and hands my mom some cd's. She says "here are those cds that I had of yours". Yep, the Windows 98 Installation CD was one of them! So, I am gonna follow that guide you sent me the link to and I will keep you updated as to how it goes. I believe that guide shows how to get the product key from within the computer also.

Also, if there are viruses on the disk will deleting the partition or whatever take care of that? I think some of this could be virus related.

Sorry for the back and forthness.

Thanks so much,

Edited by JAR300, 31 January 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Talking about good news, huh? :)

if there are viruses on the disk will deleting the partition or whatever take care of that

Yes, delete all partitions, create new one, and format it (all of it, you can find in that guide).

IMPORTANT! If there is no key sticker on the computer, you have to retrieve it first, before you format.
Use Jelly Bean Keyfinder: http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/