Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a free tune up utility or optimizer for 98?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah it was real good news. I have made some progress but I have a problem now. I have successfully deleted everything.

Now I'm at the part where you type in D\Win98\format C: (That might now be right on here but I triple checked it after doing it) it says bad command or file or something like that. I don't know what to do?

Any suggestions?

I believe in that link you gave me its like step 8. Ok let me know.

Edited by JAR300, 31 January 2009 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You have "colon" missing after "D":
D:\Win98\format C:
not
D\Win98\format C:

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
LOL I told you I probably had it wrong on here. I typed it with the colon when I was doing it. I have tried it over and over again, making sure that its typed correctly and same thing...bad command or file name.

Let me know thanks,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What prompt are you at?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey its scanning or whatever now.

The problem was that my drive is not lettered D. It is letter E and F. It wouldn't work on E and then I tried F:\Win98\format C: and it worked.

Maybe those instructions should be edited in case someone else has that problem.

Thanks and I will keep you updated as always.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, but it's never easy to say what CD ROM letter will be without some experimenting.
Especially with pre-NT Windows, where hard drives were often partitioned with 2GB chunks, because of FAT32 limitations.
I still have Win 98 computer with 6.4GB HD (what??....LOL), which has 3 partitions: C, D, and E, so obviously, CD drive becomes F.

I'm glad, you got it going :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's running really smooth. That was exactly what I needed to do. Thanks so much.

I have some pci cards that aren't recognized because I changed them messing with the computer, but I should be able to find the drivers for them online. Other than that, it's good to go.

I'll start a new post should anything happen later. Thanks Broni.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hey, you're very welcome :)
Great news!