Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to fix my laptop!

• Please log in to reply

jenns

jenns

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi...
My laptop keeps going to safe mode....I have tried to reinstall XP and now it keeps going to safe mode and setup will not run under safemode and it keeps rebooting and telling me this over and over and over...PLEASE HELP!! :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I have tried to reinstall XP and now it keeps going to safe mode and setup will not run under safemode

You can't run setup from within Windows. You have to boot from Windows CD.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
If the computer is not loading off of the XP disc then the CD needs to be set as the first boot device.
Most new computers use the F2 key to enter bios, here is a link that gives information on setting the CD as the first boot device http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom
Did some one use the msconfig utility to make any changes?
If so, boot in to safe mode , open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

jenns

jenns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am booting from XP cd and I cannot access msconfig
I have made it so it boots from cd-rom and it still keeps going back to ....setup is being restarted..... then a black screen appears with Safe Mode microsft ®windows XP®(build2600.xpsp.050329-1536: service pack 2) safe mode across the top of screen and an information window with windows XP setup cannot run under safemode.Setup will restart now. OK and it reboots and just keeps happening. even if I try something in safe mode I still end up at the same screen!!!! I just about ready to throw it through the window

Edited by jenns, 31 January 2009 - 01:10 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Boot from the CD again, but this time...
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:
Posted Image

Edited by Broni, 31 January 2009 - 10:01 AM.

jenns

jenns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HI I NOW HAVE A FUNCTIONING LAPTOP!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for ur information it was and is invaluable.
Power to geekstogo :)
I am now going through the process of searching for malware and trying to find wot went wrong in the first place.
Thank you again...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Way to go!! Posted Image