Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Crashed

• Please log in to reply

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a dell lap top and has Vista on it i was able to start in safe mode and now it wont start log in i do that and it logs me off and i log back in and it wont log on it logs off again now it wont do any thing tried to reinstall Vista and repair Vista and it wont do that tried to re install it and it wont do that on the Vista cd u can format drive and i did that and it still wont reinstall Vista all i get is a green line running in the widow like it wont's to but it will not load how do i reinstall Vista and it works lap top will not boot up tried to repair Vista and it tells me it found problem and will not fix it and it will not boot up all i get is that green line running and i let it run all night to see for some slim chance it would and it would not load Vista again can any one help me out

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If this dell computer came with Vista installed you can try the Dell Restore. By unplugging any network cables and then hitting the ctrl and F11 keys at the same time will start the dell (ghost) restore on the computer. This will take the computer back to when you bought the computer new.

If you installed Vista yourself, you will need to get into the BIOS and set the laptop to boot from the CDrom drive first. You can move around in the BIOS with the arrow keys, highlight and also move to a new window with the enter key, and change settings with the arrow keys. Getting out of the bios you hit the Esc key, but be sure to save your settings when you end ( get out of) the Bios. You should then be able to boot to the Vista DVD and reinstall Vista. You will probably lose all data this way and you may need to go to the Dell website for Drivers. It might be handy to have any drivers you need burned to a CD before even trying to reinstall Vista.

SRX660

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i will try this and let u know how it works thank u thank u

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried what u told me now i just get the green bar going back and forth but will not start windows vista it wont do safe mode or any thing any help on what to do

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Bad Problem i think i put vista disk in and hit the wrong tab i hit the del. tab and now i dont have a drive to format it del. my falt but what do i do now to get a hard drive litter up to where i can in stall vista can any one help me with this plz dang i hope i didnt miss up to bad thanks for yalls help

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Bad Problem i think i put vista disk in and hit the wrong tab i hit the del. tab and now i dont have a drive to format it del. my falt but what do i do now to get a hard drive litter up to where i can in stall vista can any one help me with this plz dang i hope i didnt miss up to bad thanks for yalls help

all_forfun2001

all_forfun2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would not bother with a restore now as it is not working anymore. Find someone with a Vista DVD and see if you can install vista. You will need to get into the BIOS and set the laptop to boot from the cdrom(DVDrom) drive first.

Dell bios keys

Dell Dimension® F2 or DEL
Dell Inspiron® F2
Dell Latitude Fn+F1 (while booted)
Dell Latitude F2 (on boot)
Dell Optiplex DEL
Dell Optiplex F2
Dell Precision™ F2

use the arrow keys to move around in the bios and the enter to select things. The Esc key is used to get out of the bios.

You will need to download drivers from the Dell website for your laptop.

SRX660