Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

core i7 - quiet

• Please log in to reply

nept

nept

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi all

I'm planing on building a pc based on an Intel Core i7 920. I need a configuration that in the first instance runs very quiet and if possible anyway allows for light overclocking (~3GHz).

I'm quite sure about these components
- Intel Core i7 920
- GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R

Not so sure with:
- RAM z.b. Kingston, Crossair
- Graphics: silent, not that important (although I do like games I prefer a quiet system)

A lot of questionmarks with
- Case?
- Fan?
- PSU?

important:
I need the pci slots so nothing should cover them up (like huge fans etc.).

And yet another question:
Can PCI-E x1/x4 card be used with PCI-E x16 slots? Are the PCI-E 16 slots usualy graphic card exclusive?

I never have built a pc before - just spent hours and hours fumbling around in them - and am very glad for every hint, info you could give me.

Many thanks for your help!

Nept

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey,
If you want really quiet systems, Iíd suggest liquid cooling instead of fans, I havenít used them myself but they should be really quiet, but a little expensive. And as for the GPU, you could look up one that has no fan, or a small one, they hardly make noise.
The x16 specifications on the slot are just the number of lanes that are available, you could use anything from 1x to 16x on the slot you specified. And no, itís not limited to GPUs, PCI Express is just a lane that has a very fast bus to communicate with the whole system. Thereís a site with articles about PCI and PCI-E that are really interesting (arstechnica.com).
Hope it helps