Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Browser re-launching automatically

• Please log in to reply

nick-h

nick-h

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all, I'm new here with a question, so please go easy on me :)

I'm suffering a problem on my computer and cannot seem to find a solution! I'm running on XP!

Basically whenever I click on a link, whether it be from an email, a document or anything, it will open the internet browser fine, but then when I close the browser, it will re-launch it!

Now this problem came about originally from when I was working in Outlook. I opened a link in an email, and viewed through my browser as normal, then when I came to close the browser it brought up some kind of error message about it not being able to locate the browser, at which point I manually pointed it towards the exe file in program files!

So in summary, whenever I open a link, the browser launches no problem but when I then close the browser, it re-launches it to the same page, usually then crashing whatever program the link came from...usually outlook!

Any ideas what this might be?

Just to add, I've reinstalled office with outlook, removed profiles and problem persists, so presume it's something within the registrar or commands! I've also found that the problem only happens when Firefox is my default browser, but have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox with no luck. I suspect it's linked to firefox as that's the exe file I pointed the error message to by accident!

HELP PLEEEEASE :)

Edited by nick-h, 31 January 2009 - 07:33 AM.

Advertisements