Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

accessing external hard disk

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Using Windows XP Pro.

I have a 250GB external hard disk, with all my data on it. If I go to My Computer and double click the external (Drive E), I get the message, "Choose which program you want to use to open this file."

I have to go to Windows Explorer and click on My Computer, then on Drive E, then using the Folders Menu at the left side, I click on Drive E and can then click on any folder on the right side where all the folders are displayed.

How can I just click on the drive at My Computer from the desktop and go directly into the folders?

There was no CD supplied with the external. It is formatted as NTFS.

Thanks
Paul

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sounds like your external hard drive might be infected with a flash drive virus. Does the drive symbol in My Computer look like a folder instead of a drive? There is something in your external drive that is trying to activate when you click on it. Use whatever AV you have and scan the disk, but you may have to offload your data and re-format to get rid of it..

Hope this helps

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Attached is picture of My Computer. Travel Drive H is the external. It looks the same as the internal second hard disk (D).

I have used McAfee to scan it and there are o viruses reproted.

But I will try your suggesiton and reformat, saving info first!

Thanks again.
Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_001.jpg