Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GDR8081N

• Please log in to reply

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi, i have a Compaq Evo N610c laptop, running windows XP home, the problem is i can't use the DVD drive? i have recently replaced the DC jack therfore have had to take it apart. I don't think i have broken the drive just upset it a little because the CD boots if i set the BIOS to boot from CD drive first but will not work in windows, doesn't show up in windows explorer.
I have poked round device manager and have noticed a yellow exclamation mark over the drive, once clicked it has the error message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

If i clck to update the driver, i can't follow it through as i do not have the disk to hand, is there a way of obtaining the drivers without the disk?

Thanks for any help in advance

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You could try this to find your driver.

andy_b_1502

andy_b_1502

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks Karbo, the scan did find some out of date drivers on my system, however it failed to find the driver needed for the DVD rom drive.
Is there any other suggestions?