Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verizon DSL + D-Link = Frustration

• Please log in to reply

fowlermj

fowlermj

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have Verizon DSL service in Ohio and am having serious difficulty connecting a D-Link wireless router (wbr2310) to my setup.

Initial installation was Verizon modem (6100F) to my laptop, which worked very well using Verizon's online setup utility. I had to enter a username and password during that install. I don't know if I have DCHP or PPPoE and I don't know how to find out. I do know that while my hard wired connection without the router is functioning, the TCP/IP properties of my connection indicates "obtain address automatically" if that counts for anything.

I have tried on three separate days to install my D-Link router. I am able to connect to it using the router's IP (192.168.0.1) and go through the setup that follows. I have set it to DCHP, which does not give me internet access, though I can connect wirelessly to the router easily.

I have also set it to PPPoE and used the username and password that I was given during the account setup through Verizon's utility - I don't even know if this is necessary, but I've tried nearly everything...

No combination has seemed to work, but I can always connect to the router wirelessly with ease - just can't get out to the internet.

I've read about having to go into the modem's setup and screw around with settings. I've learned never to say "That can't possibly be true- X company would never make something so complicated for the average user." But this is really pushing the limits of sanity.

I have not called Verizon, since the modem technically provides a connection - when the router isn't involved - and I'm sure they don't want to hear about my 3rd party router.

I can connect to many other wireless networks in the area using this computer.

I've restarted and reset everything I can think of, but the end result is always the same dead end: computer and router get along great, wired or wirelessly, modem is all green and working fine, router is all green and looking good, still no internet connection whatsoever.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey fowlermj,

Can you please attempt to connect via your router, and then do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Once you have done that, remove the router from the mix and connect directly into your modem; ensure that you have an Internet connection and then repeat the above steps to create a new ipconfig (make sure that you have moved, or already posted, the router's ipconfig, else it will be overwritten).

Can you please also post the exact make/model of your D-Link router. I assume you have not attempted to setup any type of security/encryption on the router as of yet?

My first thought on this issue is a possible IP Address conflict with your modem and router.

- Dan