Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound is Not Working at All

• Please log in to reply

HelpisNeededDesperatelyNow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I know absolutely nothing about computers.

I had been on my computer for several hours. Everything was working fine. But suddenly, out of the blue, I'm not getting any sound. Nothing at all.

I restarted my computer (at least 3 times), shut it down and turned it on again. I checked all the wires and I'm not even sure what needs to go where but nothing looks out of wack. All the plugs are plugged in.

Nothing seems to be different. I can't tell why no sound is coming out. This computer's sound has worked fine for over 9 months now. This is the first time this has happened. I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings. And it worked this morning. About 2 hours ago, following the computer peforming a Diagnostic Scan on it's own (which told me it didn't detect any devices that aren't performing correctly - so I didn't think anything of it), it stopped. It just stopped. The audio isn't working on anything.

I turned the speakers and and off and I hear a noise from pressing the button. But nothing that I'm prompting on the computer is heard from the speakers

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? PLEASE help me.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

When you said the computer did a diagnostic scan, "on its own", were you active on the web? On a website you had not visited before? You may want to try System Restore and roll your system back to a restore point before your sound problem. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools and then System restore. Follow the wizard and choose a date before the sound stopped working.

What anti-virus are you using? Firewall?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Howszit?

When you said the computer did a diagnostic scan, "on its own", were you active on the web? On a website you had not visited before? You may want to try System Restore and roll your system back to a restore point before your sound problem. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools and then System restore. Follow the wizard and choose a date before the sound stopped working.

I followed your advice and it's worked. I can hear sound now.

I can't thank you enough.

What anti-virus are you using? Firewall?

McAfee. Which I don't really know how to use.

It does it's scan once or twice a week and always tells me either that my computer is fully protected or that it needs to be fixed, and I click on Fix It and it makes me run another scan and then after- it tells me that I'm fully protected. I hope it's telling me the truth. Because I'm running another scan right now.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear that your system is no longer audio challenged. I'm still curious about what the "Diagnostic" scan was that started by itself..

Vista does an automatic repair startup, if it senses a hardware fault, but yours sounded like something else and since Vista asks you before anything is allowed to happen normally... :)

I'd make sure your McAfee was upto date with no problems, (like it hasn't expired and wants you to buy another years use), and do a full system scan..

Have fun...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Glad to hear that your system is no longer audio challenged. I'm still curious about what the "Diagnostic" scan was that started by itself..

I don't quite know. It's a thing that seems to be run by my own computer. It's happened at least 2 or 3 times before now and I don't remember having any problems then. It's a scan that checks all my systems and at the end tells me everything works. I think it called itself "Hardware Tools" somehow.

Vista does an automatic repair startup, if it senses a hardware fault, but yours sounded like something else and since Vista asks you before anything is allowed to happen normally... :)

So would I'd be. It's just, this is the first time anything serious has happened. And I rarely go to sites I've never been before. I'm always suspicious of this kind of thing. I was just on the usual. Information sites - wiki, imdb, amazon.com, youtube, allmovie.com or allmusic, and a couple message boards - ultimate-disney (a place I've been going for 4 years almost now). All those places I've gone to for years. Every now and then, I go to a Lyrics site. Or to Megavideo (I think it's called) for the occasional TV show. Myspace, twice a week. Trailers From [bleep].com. And I search google incessantly. My E-Mail several times every few hours (hotmail).

I'd make sure your McAfee was upto date with no problems, (like it hasn't expired and wants you to buy another years use), and do a full system scan.. Have fun...

Thanks again. I did 2 McAfee scans and an Update and they both came up with telling me my computer is protected and I haven't had another problem yet. Sound still works.

As for McAfee, I think we've have them for over a year now. Not positive.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Some systems do an automatic update with their manufacturer's website. Perhaps thats what happened to you. We run an older ASUS notebook and until I un-installed the ASUS live update it used to freeze every three months or so. I realized the event kicking it off was just that.

Hope your system stays steady. But don't freak when it does fail. Everything eventually will fail so be sure to back up what is most important to you, either on CD, DVD Flash Drive or via a network, but do backup...